fish only with live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a fish only with live rock with a wet/dry filter should i take all the bioballs out of the sump it is cycling now somehow i cycled my tank like 6 months ago but it started to cycle again i think from over feeding so i have my fish in my q2 and i added 30 pounds of live rock to the tank it is a 60g what should i do with the bio balls thanks Jester

Jester,

Where did you get the new LR from? Was it cured when you got it? Did you add it before the tank started cycling again? If not, that's what probably started the new cycle.

If this is going to remain a FOWLR tank you can keep the bio-balls. The nitrates will remain on the high side but that's ok.

If you think you want to go reef some day (and you probably will), now would be a good time to remove the bio-balls as the tank is cycling, and the fish are in QT

Although I agree with the above post, I think your best bet would be to up the total LR in the tank to at least 90lbs...or more if you want. Then ditch the bioballs. That way, you'll have plenty of LR to handle the biofiltration. JMHO.

no i added the live rock after it started cycling again I dont think i can fit 60 more pounds in my tank the middle of the tank come out cause there is a overflow there its big thanks for mow i will leave the bio balls in there

Back
Top Bottom