Fish Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nat_a126

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have a 65 gallon FOWLR aquarium. I have currently have...
-3 blue/green Chromis
-2 ocellaris clownfish
-2 Nassarius snails
-26 Astraea snails

I want...
-1 one spot Foxface
-1 coral beauty
-one other fish maybe an easy Butterfly
-1 pincushion urchin

Do you think this is fine or overstocked?
Any fish suggestions that you all really like?

I'm no expert on butterflies, but they usually require 100+ tanks and am not familiar with any that can live well in anything so small.
The foxface would be ok in a 65 as long as it is the one spot. The others get too big and need a 100+ as well.
The coral beauty is a great addition to a 4ft tank. I have one in my 55 reef. I secretly wish I hadn't got it now that I've discovered other fish that I like, but it is still a nice fish.
If you are looking for a 'larger' fish to have, the suggestion I'm going to make is a more 'shy' fish in bright tanks and needs lots of places to hide, but I love mine. The marine betta. I have a very small one in my 55 and love it. I've only ever seen one other one and rather than being the size of my thumb, it was as big as my hand. Truly awesome looking fish. It'd be a nice fit to a tank w/o shrimp and crabs.

I'm no expert on butterflies, but they usually require 100+ tanks and am not familiar with any that can live well in anything so small.
The foxface would be ok in a 65 as long as it is the one spot. The others get too big and need a 100+ as well.
The coral beauty is a great addition to a 4ft tank. I have one in my 55 reef. I secretly wish I hadn't got it now that I've discovered other fish that I like, but it is still a nice fish.
If you are looking for a 'larger' fish to have, the suggestion I'm going to make is a more 'shy' fish in bright tanks and needs lots of places to hide, but I love mine. The marine betta. I have a very small one in my 55 and love it. I've only ever seen one other one and rather than being the size of my thumb, it was as big as my hand. Truly awesome looking fish. It'd be a nice fit to a tank w/o shrimp and crabs.

I was actually thinking about the Marine Betta, but I had read that it eats small fish. Considering that my other fish are about an inch and a half, I assumed they would be eaten. Is this true? And I was thinking about the Pearl Scale bufferfly.

Small fish, of course it'll eat them. I'm not saying to get and toss a full grown 8' in there... a smaller guy would be a great fit and they all can grow together.
In terms of a Pearly Scale...I don't have a clue as I am more knowledgeable with reef fish.

Small fish, of course it'll eat them. I'm not saying to get and toss a full grown 8' in there... a smaller guy would be a great fit and they all can grow together.
In terms of a Pearly Scale...I don't have a clue as I am more knowledgeable with reef fish.

So in your opinion, what's the smallest fish, in inches, that you could keep? 1 and 1/2 is too small? How long did your marine betta take to not be shy anymore?

I have really bright lights over my reef. So, he comes out to feed and you see him floating around under the overhangs. It depends on the day with him. I'm told that they come out and swim in tanks with not so bright light...but I can only talk about my experience.

I have really bright lights over my reef. So, he comes out to feed and you see him floating around under the overhangs. It depends on the day with him. I'm told that they come out and swim in tanks with not so bright light...but I can only talk about my experience.

So 1 and 1/2 inch is too small? And my lights are not that bright since I don't have corals. Are they difficult to care for?

Not hard at all. I feed mine twice a week. And your size question would depend on the size of the fish.

So a full grown betta (6-8 inches) with a full grown clownfish (2-3 inches)? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394979012.162272.jpg

And is this too bright for them?

You need more hiding places for a betta. Also, I've never seen a 6" betta let alone an 8". 5" is usually the max for them from what I've seen

You need more hiding places for a betta. Also, I've never seen a 6" betta let alone an 8". 5" is usually the max for them from what I've seen

Ugh okay I guess it's a no to the Betta then. I need a show fish, but I have no idea what it could be. Any suggestions? :D

Back
Top Bottom