Flame Angel pestering other fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tazman282

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a flame angel for about three weeks now and he has been pestering my two smaller clown fish to the point that they will stay near the top of the tank on completely different sides. I added three pepperment shrimp today and all he does is chase them around the tank too. Is it important to get a fish of at least his same size to even it out or something, just trying to limit the stress on the fish. Thanks for any info.

Is this in a smaller tank? They do sometimes come with an attitude. Has it got any better since the time you posted?

You can also try removing the flame and putting it in a QT tank for a week, then adding it back. That might help.

I have a 72 gal tank with 2 clowns and now 2 shrimp as he killed one I believe. Still the same dominance, I may try the time out method.

Would another same size or bigger fish help any?

was he one of the first fish to be put in the tank? if so then remove him for sure and then let him re adjust to a new home then itroduce him again, it'll be liek hes beign placed in there for the first time and have to make it his home

I agree with Gti. The flame will be the last fish I add due to its aggression. I wouldn't advise on a larger fish because I THINK that if the larger fish is peaceful, the flame would pick on it too.

I have him in the quarantine tank now but not sure what to when I get another fish.

Take him back to the store he is one of the fish with verry aggressive attitudes that may not stop until he has bothered the other fish litteraly to death but also getting a non agressive larger fish will get him to stop but if its agressive it will kill everything!

I don't think the flame angels are aggressive enough that he'll kill the other fishes if introduced correctly. It should be the last fish so it can develop it's territory after all the other fishes so taking it out and putting in a QT for a while should help.

Try move'n all the rocks and reaquascape'n the tank before you introduce him back into the tank. Good luck.

Angels are just like this. Usually they don't do any real damage to each other. My flame gets chased by my coral beauty because he is twice as heavy. Seems like size is what determines who chases who. Lucky the lighter fish is usually faster.

Well I added the larger Fox Face to the tank with the smaller flame still in there and he chilled out real quick. As of today he hasn't done anything aggressive towards the other inhabitants. Time will tell, but solitary confinment is next step, might have to withhold food, use small fishing hooks, or even beatings to straighten him out.

Kidding of course, well other than a QT tank.

Thanks for the replies.

Gregcoyote said:
Angels are just like this. Usually they don't do any real damage to each other. My flame gets chased by my coral beauty because he is twice as heavy. Seems like size is what determines who chases who. Lucky the lighter fish is usually faster.

I had this same issue. Until the coral beauty got trapped in the rockwork n died cause he couldnt get out before i noticed ... N 2 weeks later I found the flame dead for no reasons I can explain .. Maybe he missed the CB? What u think?

No...I don't think he was sad to see him go. My flame is 6 years old and my coral beauty is almost 8. They have never liked each other. Now they both have a black tail angel they can both chase.

Back
Top Bottom