flame hawkfish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nh iceman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I recently made an additionof 2 to my fish family. One is a percula (sp?) clownfish and the other is a flame hawkfish. I actually have a question on both additions.

First the hawkfish seems to just sit on things in the tank with nothing but his eyes moving. Sometime he will wedge himself into somewhere and do the same (just those crazy eyes moving).

Sometimes he will even float to a completly verticle position before deciding to move to right himself. I read that they like to "perch" is that what I am observing? He has only been in the tank about 10 hours now so perhaps he is still acclimating?

Second question is more general. When I first put the percula into the tank my black and white clown went right after him. This went on for about half an hour and then seemed to stop for the most part.

My question is do fish establish a pecking order and if so is that what i was witnessing? They seem ok with each other now.

Both fish are eating and all seems well now except the behavior of the hawkfish seems kind of odd.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Seems like normal behavior for the hawkfish. I have an arc eyed hawkfish and he just perches on the rock waiting for some meaty item or food to float past him. As far as the clowns being two different ones they`ll probably scrap every once in a while I had two different ones and they occasionally scraped for about 8 yrs. Be prepared that they might not become good friends.

Is the new clown definitely a percula or is that just what the lfs called it? Is the black and white one an ocellaris or another specie?...Most newly introduced fish will be picked upon until territories can be defined/refined.

It is defintanty a true percula, (at least that is what I specifically ordered as they came from liveaquaria since I dont know of any good lfs's around my area). I actually have one of the ones that looks like a percula in the tank already and you can see the differences between it and the new one as well.

Back
Top Bottom