FOWLR skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve5520

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How important is a skimmer in a FOWLR tank? Should I expect it to pull anywhere near the same amount of crud as in a reef tank?

I have a 55 gal reef with a Remora Pro that I clean on a routine basis. It's a great skimmer, easy to set up and keep going properly.

My FOWLR is a 40 long. I have around 40-50 lbs of live rock, some snails, hermits, 2 emerald crabs, one Flame Angel, one Yellow Tang and a Blenny. Water circulation is provided by two Maxi-Jet 1200s.
In the 40 long, I'm using an old "Bak-Pak style" skimmer. I never have been able to quite get it adjusted properly, even when I used it on the reef tank. That was partially why I upgraded skimmers to begin with. Seems like the air being injected into the powerhead (pump) is inconsistent.

Will I see much crud in the FOWLR tank? Am I fiddling with the skimmer for nothing? Or would an upgrade be wise?

Thanks.

How important is a skimmer in a FOWLR tank? Should I expect it to pull anywhere near the same amount of crud as in a reef tank?

I would expect it to produce more unless you keep to reef type stocking levels.

Will I see much crud in the FOWLR tank? Am I fiddling with the skimmer for nothing? Or would an upgrade be wise?

Not sure how "wise" it would be, but it would certainly do a better job ;) Even a small amount of skimming with frequent regular water changes will maintain water quality. There are many who run skimmerless on their reef tanks.

Back
Top Bottom