FOWLR Tank Fish Selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

naplesbaitman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to the hobby and have accrued some equipment from a friend. It is a 20 gallon tall tank and is completely bio. Reason being is I figured it was the easiest introductory way into the hobby. The tank is currently cycling but it is almost done (I hope). I currently have one very small black and white striped damselfish and I am looking to add more.

My question is, once the cycle is up, what kind of fish should I look into? Also maybe snails, crabs, and skrimp. I have a soft spot in my heart for predatory fish (I have been a snook fisherman all my life) and would like to be able to keep a few in my tank. Not Snook, but other fish. And I also am not opposed to non-predatory fish, I find them all fascinating! I am finding myself staring at the tank for hours on end just watching my damsel.

As far as food is concerned, if I went the predatory route, I have an unlimited access to bait skrimp at all times of the year and of all sizes.

What do y'all think?

and thanks ahead of time!

EDIT: It also has about 15-20 pounds of live rock shaped in a arched bridge fashion (If that makes sense). Two big pieces on each side and a bridge like structure arching across. There are holes under the rock and in it for refuge as well.

Congratualtions and welcome to the addiction.

That little damsel might make life hell on other fish in a 20 gallon tank. If this is your first go at it, keep in mind it might be easier to error on the side of caution when it comes to stocking a small body of water.

If you have access to live feed, you might want to take a look at a smaller angler fish. They are fascinating to watch and provide that predatory scratch to the itch you might have.

Congratualtions and welcome to the addiction.

That little damsel might make life hell on other fish in a 20 gallon tank. If this is your first go at it, keep in mind it might be easier to error on the side of caution when it comes to stocking a small body of water.

If you have access to live feed, you might want to take a look at a smaller angler fish. They are fascinating to watch and provide that predatory scratch to the itch you might have.

Unfortunately my damsel passed away last night. He wasn't eating and I think that's eventually what got him.

And also there's been an update, it looks like I will be upgrading to a 75 gallon tank in the very near future so this 20 gallon might end up becoming the sump, if I don't build my own out of Rubbermaid bins.

A 20 tall would make a good sump for a 75g

Have you checked your ammonia level that might have killed the damsel. If your still in the cycling process.

Depending on how soon you're upgrading, you might want to wait on stocking to much or buying to much equipment for the 20. It could get expensive

A 20 tall would make a good sump for a 75g

Have you checked your ammonia level that might have killed the damsel. If your still in the cycling process.

Depending on how soon you're upgrading, you might want to wait on stocking to much or buying to much equipment for the 20. It could get expensive

It will be a couple weeks. But as I thought about it more and more I think I will end up just buying another 20 for a sump if it doesn't already have one. I'm getting literally all the equipment for free for the 75 anyway. And I'm trying to keep the 20 Bio anyway. So no more parts unless its totally necessary.

Back
Top Bottom