Foxface Handling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GroovyDude

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Any tips on how to safely handle a Foxface without getting stung? How penetrating are their stingers. I have some thick arm-length gloves I normally use when I have to put my hand in my tank. Would thier stingers be able to penetrate thick gloves?

Is there a reason you need to handle your Foxface?
Mine comes up to me and eats Nori out of my hand when I'm placing it in the tank. I sometimes brush my hand across it's body or vice-versa, but I would never attempt to actually put my hand around it. When I need to capture it (I had an Ich problem a couple of years ago) I use a fish corral.

It will not try to hy=urt you unless it feels threatened. The Foxface and Sailfin Tang sometimes chase each other and make grand gestures with fins flared, but nothing ever comes of it.

Is there a reason you need to handle your Foxface?

Not at all. I've just never had anything considered "venonmous" in my tank before and am uncertain as to the amount of precaution I should take if and when I need to do some work in the tank.

Got it. I was a bit apprehensive at first too. The fish is more scared of you at first. Once it associates you with food it tends not to bite the hand that feeds it. Don't do anything like try to grab it and you should be fine with no protection. I can 'pet' the sides of mine when I'm adding nori to the tank.

my foxface is very peaceful. I did have to qt all my fish one time and my son got stung. He said it felt like a bee sting. His hand was alittle numb for a while:(

Any tips on how to safely handle a Foxface without getting stung? How penetrating are their stingers. I have some thick arm-length gloves I normally use when I have to put my hand in my tank. Would thier stingers be able to penetrate thick gloves?
So if u were gloves and hand feed him you wont get stung?Plus can a yellow tang,foxface get along together in the same tank

The spines are for defense. If it feels threatened, it will flare the spines. I don't hink you have too much to worry about, as cmor explained. They will fit nicely in the right sized tank. Tangs need lots of swimming room.

Back
Top Bottom