Fuge/Protein Skimmer Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjonesrjc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just setup my 50g FOWLR and plan on ordering a protein skimmer that I want to add to my fuge. The problem is I think I need to remove the sand bed in my fuge? Should I add another piece of acrylic and separate the cheato area from the protein skimmer. Also the area where the water comes in is cornered of so my foot print for a skimmer is pretty tight. I'm looking at the Corallife Super Skimmer as it can hang on the side from what I can find there are mixed reviews but the great thing about it is that water level rarely effects it and it actually skims. Last thing is there another way to secure the new piece of acrylic without draining the fuge?
img_1423666_0_ec6e567e51c4fe8e6cae38a6157548d6.jpg

I wouldnt put the skimmer in the fuge. If you're concerned about space, just take the time and do it right. You'll be glad you did. I had a similar experience. Had the sump/fuge all set up and didn't have enough room, so I broke it all down and added another chamber that houses my pump and skimmer. Now i have three chambers; mechanical/biological part, refugium, and pump n skim section.

I would definitely like to add another chamber but the problem is I will not be able to remove the fuge tank now that my DT is up and running. The best I can do is work on it in the stand which is going to be quite hard. I think I'll drain it and add another piece of acrylic that will stand as high as the piece for the intake this way the protein skimmer can go in that chamber and then flow down to the fuge. My big concern is going to be foot print of skimmer the way I have the acrylic set now I either will end up with a good size skimmer and small fuge or the other way around. That's why I was thinking hob as this would save on the foot print and provide me with a large area for the fuge.

Back
Top Bottom