GFI tripped, tank was dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocketcost

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I checked on my tank today and everything (filter, bubbler, lights) were off. My GFI had tripped, so
PH: 7.8
nitrites: .50-1.0 ppm
Ammonia: .25-.50 ppm
Nitrate: 20-40 ppm

.. I did not check it yesterday so it could have been off for 12+ hours. After fully realizing my failure as a tank owner I got to work.

20% water change, and then bought some nutrifin cycle, ph buffer, and prime water conditioner. Diluted them all before adding them... What can I do now? What should I do in the future? If this happens again, what should I do?

You need to find the cause of the tripped gfi or else itll happen again. Possibilities include- pulling too much amperage (too many things plugged into a single outlet), malfunctioning piece of equipment, old gfi plug. Id personally start by making sure all of your equipment is properly functioning, then id look into moving some things onto a different outlet. This should help to ease the load on the single outlet

Thanks! I think its my heater. So I will replace that. What about the soft coral? It looks all withered and dead. What can I do to bring back the zoo bacteria?

A short in the tank from a cracked or shorted heater could have released some metallic elements into the water. The GFI tripping showed there was current across the neutral, meaning saltwater was in contact with metallic components. This current helps put metal into the water, even copper. I would keep up the water changes to remove any potential contaminates.

Back
Top Bottom