Going Salt!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

odessadude

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well after all these years I have decided to take my aquarium from an Australian tank to a saltwater fish only tank. My years in the freshwater hobby has allowed me to succesfully breed all types of freshwater species, but life goes on and I want to go salt. I am just seeking good advise from this board for what works and what doesn't.

I would like to start off with some non aggresive fish, such as Clown's or Angels. I will go with crushed coral and some base rock.

My equipment consists of a 135 gallon Oceanic with two overflows. I have a 75 gallon sump with a Ehiem filter as well as a high volume pump thats in the system, but never used. I also run a Magnum 350 just for the heck of it.

I included a picture of my tank which I framed into a wall I built, to give a clue of how serious I am with this hobby. Yes, I can read a book, but just as I have found in the freshwater hobby, there is nothing better then practical experience. I am looking for some basic information/ ideas if anyone can help.

I appreciate all positive posts![/img]

From my limited experience, the one piece of advice I can give is to go with a sand base instead of coral. fewer crevices for the particulates to settle and you can have a wider variety of ground critters like sand snails (that's what I call them anyway) and some softbellied fish that like to rub and sleep in the sand.

The depth of a sand bed is of some debate, but I have found that I don't need a DSB to be successful (so far).

Hope this helps and that I am not speaking out of school.

No pic to see. Something happened.

What's the flow rate on your Eheim return pump? I believe 7-10x turnover rate is desired. I agree with the aragonite sand bed vs. crushed coral (nitrate factory). I prefer 3" of sand.

Is the magnum just for topside/tank circulation? If so, you might wanna shoot for at very least, 10x rate. If I'm thinking correctly on that Magnum 350, you're only getting nearly 3x.

Any reason other than lighting cost - or maybe rock requirements @ 1.5lbs per gallon - for going fish only? Reef ain't as hard as people think IMO.

WELCOME TO THE SW SIDE and POSSIBLY AA!!

I will go with crushed coral and some base rock.

I started with CC, and switched to sand. The CC limits your clean up crew and p0ossibly sand sifting critters/fish. The CC got dirty and trapped quite a bit funk, and you will need to vacuum it often, to keep it clean looking. IMO, I would go with sand, but that is just a personal preference.

I would like to start off with some non aggresive fish, such as Clown's

Check on what clowns. There are some that are aggressive. The Yellowstripe Maroon Clownfish is my fav, but is aggressive. I'm not sure about angels.

Please don't cycle with live critters.

Good luck, and ask tons of questions!

Back
Top Bottom