Got some snails and Crabd and here ar4e some results oh and

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hotskate

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay well i got another 40 lbs of live rock from LIVEROCKS.com absolutely amazing i got a britle or birstle start and like 2 crabs with it ;) not badddd

okay and i have some alege so i got some snails and hermits

7 turbo snails
3 cortez red leg hermits
3 halloween hermits ((( so cool ))
7 Trochus Snails
5 Scarlet hermits

from my LFS they through in some extra shells :)

now for my test results

okay
Salinity between .024 and .025
Nitrite .25
Ammonia inbetween 0 and .25
high ph in between 8.2 and 8.4 ((( what should this be at????????))))
Nitrate around 5.0

thanks TIA

oh and my temp is at 82 but i set the heater down a lil

AS for livestock you should not have bought anything for your tank.. With the levels of toxins in your tank most likely all of your new purchases are going to die.. Sorry to be negative but you MUST let your tank cycle and all levels get down to 0 with the exception of the nitrates which for inverts must be under 40ppm
Your pH is fine where its at... should be between 7.8 and 8.4 but preferably between 8.2 and 8.4

JMO
James

I think most people keep the heat around 78-80. Mine is set at 79 :D And hopefully your levels are only a little high from the LR and will drop very soon.

rule of thumb, live rock 2lbs a gallon, clean up crew to replace uv 1-per gallon (like 90 gal tank 90 snails). water chem seems good, temp 75-82 is fine but what u set it at it is imp to keep it at so find your happy medium. what lighting r u using? watts ? kelvin? brand? etc..

water chem seems good
Nitrite .25

This is not good... It is enough to kill fish and definetly enough to kill sensitive inverts.. AS for Clean uip crew the Rule of thump from what I have heard is 1 snail per 2 gals.. IMO 90 snails in a no gal tank About half are going to starve in a few months...
what lighting r u using? watts ? kelvin? brand? etc..

At this point I see nothing in the tank that requires a whole lot of lighting... And will the tripple 48" tubes he has is going to be plenty for FOWLR

HTH,
James

oh i forgot if you are using a seatest hydro. to check your salinity and the needle is reading 1.024 1.025 at 82 degrees true salinity is probaly around 1.0267 1.0277 and thats way too high!

FWIW I say your salinity is fine.. NSW is 36ppt which is about 1.026-1.027

James

This is not good...
first off i said good not great them levels prob wont harm what he has in a 90 gal tank!!! so dont try to make me look like i dont know what im talkin about
what lighting r u using? watts ? kelvin? brand? etc..
i ask this because (im sureyou already know!!!) a newly cycled tank will have unreal algae blooms if lighting is not gradually increased with time , that falls back to 1 per gal to control uv then when algae becomes controlled start removing some of the clean up crew!!!

so dont try to make me look like i dont know what im talkin about

I am in no way incinuating this.. I am just mearly stating my opinion.. AS will others on this board... There is many of ways to operate a SW tank successfully and I am just stating my opinion and experience...

i ask this because (im sureyou already know!!!) a newly cycled tank will have unreal algae blooms if lighting is not gradually increased with time , that falls back to 1 per gal to control uv then when algae becomes controlled start removing some of the clean up crew!!!
Yes in a new tank there is Sometimes a major algae bloom but that depends on alot of different things... In one of my tanks I never had an Algae problem running the lights 14hrs a day and still dont.. my other tank had a mass bloom of hair algae which was controlled with 4 S.L. Crabs, 12 Zebra hermits and 2 astreas in a 55gal.. This was running the lights for 14hrs as well... I personally dont like to as I sure of others buy something as a temporary solution only to remove them later... IMO This causes undue stress on the inhabitants as well as not being fair to them..

We are all entitled to state our own opinions on this forum and there is never just 1 right way of doing things with the exception of a few things..

James

okay so im so confused here? lol my LFS said it wont kill them they should be FIne as for my lil hermits and snails and yes i know i need more but not right now a lil by lil temp is at 80 81 now and salinity at between .022 and .023 lighting is regular lighting triple strip bulbs form aga nothing special at all

Nitrite and ammonia are high. You should wait until they are zero before adding inhabitants :wink: P.S. hurrieup....SLOWDOWN!!

Sorry to thread hi-jack
Are there any good fish stores around the philly area? I live about an hour away and I usually go to thatfishplace in lancaster?

Nitrite .25

This is not good... It is enough to kill fish and definetly enough to kill sensitive inverts.. AS for Clean uip crew the Rule of thump from what I have heard is 1 snail per 2 gals.. IMO 90 snails in a no gal tank About half are going to starve in a few months...

I agree with this 100%. NO livestock should be added to a tank until it has completely cycled, meaning 0.00 ammonia, 0.00 nitrite, and nitrates less than 50ppm and falling. Ammonia at any level is deadly, and potentially fatal to both fish & inverts - mobile inverts being the most sensitive.

Also, you are always better off starting out with a smaller cleaner crew, IMO. You can always add more if need be, but1 per g is often too much, and they will eventually starve. In any case, he has nowhere near a sufficient cleaner crew at this point, but should NOT add any more until the tank has completely cycled.

3 halloween hermits ((( so cool ))

This is a predatory, carnivorous hermit which is not reef safe. Will eat other small inverts (hermits and snails).

my LFS said it wont kill them they should be FIne

One of the first - & hardest lessons to learn, is to always take the word of the LFS with a grain of salt, literally. Their bottom line is usually $-driven. You buy stuff, it dies, not their fault (of course!!), you buy more, etc. etc. This does not apply to all LFS's, but many. Do your OWN research first, always.

salinity at between .022 and .023

This is too low - should be 1.025 - 1.026 for mobile inverts to survive long-term.

HTH,

ReefLady said:
One of the first - & hardest lessons to learn, is to always take the word of the LFS with a grain of salt, literally. Their bottom line is usually $-driven. You buy stuff, it dies, not their fault (of course!!), you buy more, etc. etc. This does not apply to all LFS's, but many. Do your OWN research first, always.

This is so true, before I found this site I had 3-4 fish and a few crabs/snails etc die and kill other things that my LFS said would be perfectly fine together. Now I make sure to get an many opinions as possilbe before I buy anything.

I just looked up a pic of a halloween hermit. Funky looking little crab.

8O

I agree... I'm one that can be easily tempted into an impulse buy when I see a weird creature... into my tank they go and later I read that once a month they exude atomic radiation and drill holes throgh the tank glass or something

hehe so yes.. 10-20 minutes of research helps me a lot prior to buying each little guy, rather than after I get them home..

One thing I have found that helps is to have at least 1 extra sw tank up, cycled and running in the house, as a fall-back in case you have to move an ornery creature, or QT, or whatever

alll u guys lost me with all of this????

How so??? We certainly don't mean to be confusing. We are just trying to give you the cold hard truth.

The bottom line is you must be paitent. I hope your cleaner crew survives, but with ammonia and nitrite levels showing, I doubt they will.

Back
Top Bottom