Green Algae..Small fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christine22780

Aquarium Advice Activist

My tank is 50 gal with 4 very small fish.. Ive prob left the light on too much.
I had larger fish in it before and started up this 2nd one with smaller and all of a sudden its a problem. The rooms pretty dark, and I didnt have any sand sifters for awhile!! These fish dont touch the sand like my larger ones do.

To fix the problem, Ive cut down on the light time (which prob. caused this mess!), done water changes of course... Bought 5 snails, 5 hermits hoping they would eat some or just debris if not!
Ive scrubbed the tank walls and sifted the sand to try to get rid of it.. My protein skimmer maynot be doing its job very good..Im going to check my motor and soak it in vinegar..
What else can I do? I thought of buying a starfish too b/c Ive wanted one and the tank has been going since Aug, hopefully enough for it to eat so it wont eat the fish of crabs and snails.:eek:
Tell me what you all think, Ive never had a green tank, thankyou!:confused:

What kind of algae do you have?
Can you get a pic?
What are your water parameters?

What kinda of algae...hmmm...well its green and slimey really... I cant tell..I dont really know the types besides purple and green. Parameters are great! Dont think I could get a pic anytime soon

Back
Top Bottom