green spotted puffer in 29 for life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanoreefs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So the title pretty much explains it. This is reference to a standard 29 tank size being adequate for a gsp for life. If not for life for how long? Anybody have any experience with a similar situation? Thanks in advance!

Yes should be fine although you would have to have it as the only fish in the tank really, they are very aggresive and messy

Yeah it would definitely be the only fish in the system. Planning it out based on the high bioload, but wanted to be sure the dimensions would work. Appreciate it!

Green spotted puffers are actually what got me into the saltwater hobby. I actually set up my 60gallon intending to get a GSP but ended up going with a Toby puffer for various reason. Because I was so interested in this puffer I did tons of research about the little guys. I actually responded to a few posts on this site about others who had some questions about GSPs.

I'm going to copy and past one of my responses, it does include a lot of answers/information about the housing of these guys, and some additional information as well.

"He would be fine in brackish for some time, and that is what is usually suggested when they're younger, then onto full marine conditions as adults. There is no harm in acclimating him to full marine to begin with even at his size/age. So you could definitely acclimate him straight to marine if you wanted to.

After my research, it seemed it would have been easier just to go to straight marine rather than brackish. Mainly because of cost and filtration options. Filtration options in full marine (addition of live rock, skimmer, etc.) vs brackish are more efficient. Once the saltwater tank was established (if proper filtration is utilized) it wouldn't require as many water changes as a brackish (especially true to high end brackish) tank. Obviously frequent water changes on a high end brackish tank would add up in cost with all of that salt. It just makes more sense, especially if you already have a saltwater tank (in your case) or would be going to full saltwater eventually anyway (as I was intending to).

If you wanted to set up a tank just for him, which would be great too of course, the size could depend on the salinity you would be housing him at. A 30g minimum is recommended for a single GSP but that size would be best for brackish. To attempt full marine conditions in a 30g to house a GSP full term would be problematic because of space. The live rock needed for ample filtration would take up a lot of that space/water volume. Thus making it difficult for a full grown GSP to swim and less water volume would pose problems with water quality, as I'm sure you know puffers are high bioload.

For full marine conditions, I'd say something like a 40g breeder (similar size/footprint) would be great for a single GSP."

Thank you for the info amanda! I was thinking the 29 would be a somewhat small footprint with LR but was hoping as ive read 29 COULD be acceptable. Maybe with a large portion of LR in the refugium? Or maybe i should just buy a 55 gallon and call it a day lol.

if you have enough liverock in your sump you should get away with minimal in the display tank and create more room depends on flow rate and size of the sump i guess though

if you have enough liverock in your sump you should get away with minimal in the display tank and create more room depends on flow rate and size of the sump i guess though

+1. More rocks in the sump = less required display size.

More rocks in the larger display gives your puffer more places to explore.

I got a Blue Spotted Puffer in a 29 gallon a long with four other fish. They have been in for a good two months with no issues. Why would you only want one fish for a 29 gallon tank? I think if you go ahead and add a Six Line Wrasse and a Hawkfish you should be fine.

I am updating to a 55 gallon by the end of this month. I am just saying having only one fish in a tank would be boring. A Six Line Wrasse would be fast enough to get away from the puffer, and the Hawkfish is aggressive enough to be ok.

That is my experience with a Blue Spotted puffer, not a green spotted puffer, so it could be different.

If they are really dirty, I would suggest a Protein Skimmer! A good one oversize one for your tank. I got a BH-1000 reef octopus for my 29 gallon, which is going to my 55 gallon. That should allow you for more than just one fish in a tank, along with a good filter or sump!

A full sized toby or GSP easily fill up a whole 29g, especially the GSP since they are larger is circumference.

Bioload stability is also a huge factor.

Got it! I just think one fish is boring, but to each his own. :p That's why I said my experience was with a Blue Spotted Puffer.

Back
Top Bottom