Hair algae maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Noticed something on a rock that looked like red pillow stuffing swaying in the currents. Got to looking closer and found about 5 spots totaling the size of a quarter of this stuff. I looked around and couldn't find anything to match. Done a parameter check on nitrate and phosphate and both showed 0. Changed out 50g of water anyway just in case. Don't know what it could be? It's too small to get a picture of.

Fyi,feed omega 1 flakes every other day, and ocean nutrition pellets for the shrimp and crab. The snails get a piece of nori every 3 days. All food is gone within 5 min.

The hair looked the closest. It is nowhere near that bad though. I checked this morning and my lone hermit was pickin at the spots I seen. Maybe I'm still feeding too much. All the food i can see is gone in 5min or less, maybe a good chunk is going down the overflow to the sump?

I'll try when I get home tonight. The spots were all together smaller than a quarter so it will be difficult at best. How do you guys get the phone pics to work? My new camera has a 55-200mm lens and I don't think it can zoom in enough to get a decent pic.

Just try and take as clear of a picture as you can, even from far away, then crop and zoom on it in a photo editing software.

Look at the center of the picture,there is a coralline spot and to the left is what I'm taliking about. That is all i have found total after scowering the tank till my head hurts

Attachments

• DSC_0457.jpg
    DSC_0457.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 69
Just scrub it off and suck it out. I can't see anything, do a larger PWC this week if you are worried about it.
Until you start seeing a lot more then that, nothing to worry about.

The dark red spots beside the pink spot are what I'm referring to.

That's how small the spots were. It's about an inch on the picture to the left of the coralline spot. It's dark red in color. I wanted to nip it in the bud before it becomes a problem. It hasn't spread anymore, I think that's because of my hermit. I seen him picking at it this morning.

Back
Top Bottom