Help me with this algae!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denwhite16

Aquarium Advice Activist
So In the past couple months my tank has become overrun with algae...I used a hose a few weeks ago to suck up as much as I could. Well it's back...

I just got a new LED light for my tank, switching over from my OLD (2yrs) fluorescent bulb. Could the old bulb have been helping the algae to grow?

Also my LFS gave me a block and told me to drop it in and it will get rid of the algae...I think he said it was Copper Sulfite? I wanted to get the opinion of AA before putting it in. I was also concerned that it may harm my African Red Knob Star that you can see in one of the pictures.

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue!

Attachments

• IMAG0910.jpg
    IMAG0910.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0911.jpg
    IMAG0911.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0912.jpg
    IMAG0912.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 71
What kind of water are you using? What's your stock, tank size and parameters? I would avoid dropping that in there. There are a lot of more useful ways to help control algae.

Originally 1 1/2 years ago, I filled with tap water. (Big Mistake, I've since learned)
I purchased an RO/DI unit last April, and have using that ever since.

I have two Clowns, a scott java damsel, and the starfish. 75 gallon tank.

PH-8.2 Ammonia-0ppm Nitrite-0ppm Nitrate-20ppm

I called my LFS and the guy said that it is a pond block... :-/

Have you tested for phosphates? It couldve been your bulbs though. I would try a black out for a couple of days until that algae is gone. Those LEDs look good though.

I would invest in a CUC. Some snails and crabs will help. Also cut back on feeding. Algae feeds on excess nutrients in the tank.

I will try that...I did have a CUC but most of them have since past on to the afterlife. I'm not sure how many I have left living. Would old shells cause the algae as well?

I has a phosphate kit, I will test it when I get back home from work.

Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom