HELP! My fish go ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenikat

Aquarium Advice Regular
2 of my fish have ich and I need to treat the tank. How? I've treated my fresh water but never treated my saltwater. What should I do?

I'm on my phone, so typing a bunch is difficult right now, but I just posted a response to someone else that has a Sailfin Tang with Ich. Check that out and search for Ich treatment on here. There are tons of posts (almost daily).

It's not the same as freshwater, so do not treat it the same way. There are basically two treatments, hyposallinity or copper, and both are done in a QT. Treating in your DT is not a good idea. Done correctly, you cure the problem. Using the "medication treatments" that most LFS have "treats" the problem, but leaves it alive and able to reappear later.

Also...what fish do you still have and did you ever get that larger tank? i just saw an older post and it sounded like you had a lot of fish in a fairly small tank. If I were guessing, the Ich is on the Tang?

I was told today to do freshwater dips to the clown for 5 days of 30 seconds each and the ich falls off. It sounds like this might just stress it out more. Right?

I also got some liquid garlic to soak the food in. Are these good ways to rid ich?

Freshwater dips can get Ich off the fish, but it often gets in where a dip wont help. You might see the Ich on its body drop off, but it could still be untouched in gils, etc. That "treats", but does not alleviate, the problem. It also has to stress the fish, which is not good.

Garlic boosts immunity, but does not cure anything. Good idea to do, but does not touch the Ich. It will drop off, people think their fish was magically cured and what really happened was the Ich is still in the tank and can come back.

Copper treatment in a QT or hyposallinity are the ONLY two proven methods that work.

Back
Top Bottom