Help stocking 20 gallon saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cantra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in an aquatic science class and this is my first time doing a saltwater tank. I don't really know anything about the tank what kind of filter we are using or anything like that because she hasn't told us. Well everything is set up and ready for fish according to her but not so sure since the tank has only been running since we got back after the hurrican 2-3 weeks ago. the school is pushing her to get fish in the tanks so she wants us to have fish by next week.

Whats a fish i can get thats easy to care for (since im a beginer), thats very hardy (since i'm not so sure about the tank)?

I'm thinking about clownfish. Would that be ok? How many could i put in a 20 gallon? Do they need specail care? Can i put more than one specie's in the tank or should i just stick to one specie's?

I would suggest a False Percula or O. Clown for your tank. With a 20g you could have 2 but that would be about it for fish in such a small tank. They are easy to care for and are very hardy fish.

Stick to one species or they may fight. Like Ziggy said your best off with a False Perc as compared to any other.

I would make sure the tank has been cycled before you add a poor fish to sewage like conditions. Have you been testing the water for ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes?
Check out the link under my sig about fishless cycle. It makes for a good science experiment. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher to join this site. We would love to help you all learn.

I would make sure the tank has been cycled before you add a poor fish to sewage like conditions. Have you been testing the water for ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes?
Check out the link under my sig about fishless cycle. It makes for a good science experiment. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher to join this site. We would love to help you all learn.

Absolutely! Having more schools/teachers involved in the site would be great. There are a lot of veterans on this site that would be more then happy to help out!

Back
Top Bottom