Help stocking a 60g hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseGnewbie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to the hobby, and would love some input, on what to stock my 60 gallon hexagonal tank with. I know I'm kinda limited do to the shape. I was think clown, or maybe eel. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Hi and welcome to AA!

As for the fish you want, it is limited to your tank, but also to the kind of fish you want. You could definitely keep a pair of clowns in your tank. Eels are probably out of the question if you want clowns.

Are you going fowlr or reef? If reef, then you're also limited to reef safe fish etc.

Well I'm gonna start fowlr then possibly go reef. This is my first aquarium so I'll probably start with some clown fish. As I hear they are easy to care for. What would be some other good fish to go with clowns? I also want some inverts, hermits and a few shrimp.

You know...just a thought: If I had a hex, I think i woudl try to epoxy some of the rock together to form a very tall rockscape with small rocks maybe branching out; or perhaps some sort of spiral rock design. I think it would look pretty neat and give you more surface area to put corals on etc.

With that idea, I think you could definitely do a couple blennies. These guys love to perch around the rock. I'm a fan of them and are pretty neat to watch. They like to hop from rockspace to rockspace etc. Just my $.02.

What's the footprint on your hex like? I'm assuming it's pretty small. But maybe you can try a goby and pistol shrimp combo. If it's a small footprint; maybe a couple smaller gobies like clown gobies.

Check out liveaquaria.com for ideas on fish you'd like to keep.

Could you do seahorses with a 60g hex? I have no experience with them, but was under the impression you need taller rather than longer for them.

Sea horses would be cool but they are kinda boring. Just got some CUC yesterday! 2 turbos 2 astraea, 3 scarlet hermit crab, and 10 dwarf yellow tip hermit crab. I think I got a hitchhiker nassarius snail too! Happy to have some life aside from all the Bristolworms that came with my live Rock! After one day the rock looks so much cleaner! I was surprised how fast the hermits went to work! They are awesome!

Good luck! Put up a build thread if you'd like. Would be fun to follow your progress.

Back
Top Bottom