Help!!!! What do clowns sleeping look like?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMHuestis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I fed my two Ocell. Clown Fish turned the light out and went out for a few hours and came back to them both laying down! :( I turned a light on (Not the tank light) and they started moving around but they didnt get far off of the ground!

Ive had they for three days and theyve only been in the top center of the tank :(

HELP ME :(

PH: 8.1
AM:0
NI:0
NA:15 ppm
30 gallon tank
2 Ocell. Clownfish
Feeding: mysis shrimp (which i last fed them) and omega one w/ garlic. twice a day
Captive bread
FOWLR-- 20 pounds
Been in tank 60 hours
Tank ran 3 week prior to adding
Temp 76F
no physical signs of illness

That's normal! Mine sleep either on the ground or on the glass. The start swimming again if you leave the light on for 5 minutes

Thats very normal.

Take a look! In deep sleep with the tank lights in in the morning. I had to knock on glass to wake them.

Attachments

• image-1697786183.jpg
    image-1697786183.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 231
  • image-3765721068.jpg
    image-3765721068.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 238
PHEW! False alarm- they're completely fine. Just a rookie mistake :)

Wow my clowns never slept like that.. I would've been worried too. Mine slept like an inch or two above the sand, kind of in a vertical position. Or at least angled towards vertical.

img_1447862_0_33562bc4071bbaedd634b9edb03a64c6.jpg

Mine used to sleep tucked into a piece of dead coral until I moved them to a new tank. Now they sleep verticle upside down in the corner. Looks crazy.

Mine sleep on their sides at the surface of the water, the other half thought they were dead when she went downstairs in the small hours the other day.

That's why they call'm clowns, huh? Weird fish.

P.S. - I'd stop feeding twice daily. They'll be fine eating once a day or even every other day with no problem.

I've read so many different things! Every other day- once a day-twice a day- every few hours.. which works the best!?

What's best is what works with the fish you have and their feeding requirements. Like anthias and maybe others out there specifically with higher metabolisms. Still, feeding less can contribute to lower nitrates and filtering requirements I believe. I've known of many successful tanks that fed every two days. Heck, I've done every three days at times. My fish have also done well with me out of town for 7 days.

Back
Top Bottom