Help with alk level.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomchong22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I am about 3 weeks or so into my tanks cycle. Nitrite just spiked up. My ph is high around 8.4 to8.8 but my question is y my alk level is saying it is reading 0? All my rock is man made. Took 3 months Iof soaking it In water and In vinegar till it read 8.0 for ph.. so I don't think it is the rock. My salt mix is insta ocean. And ideas?

What is the SG of the tank (and how are you measuring it)?

Normally I say wait till the cycle is over before you bother testing anything other than Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.

The sg is at 1.021 a little low. I am using a hydrometer... I know I should be using a refractometer. I'm planing on waiting till the cycle is over to do a large water change with a refractometer.

Should I do a water change and see if that brings the alk up?

I would wait for your cycle finishes to do anything really. Theres no live stock in tank correct?

I dont see how the alk will impact your cycling. After your cycle I would investigate stabilizing your tank.

:)

No not currently. I'm just really puzzled y the alk is so low. It won't even pick up when I test for it. I was thinking on adding a buffer after the cycle is finished. I would just really like to get off on a good start with a nice stable tank.

Tomchong22 said:
No not currently. I'm just really puzzled y the alk is so low. It won't even pick up when I test for it. I was thinking on adding a buffer after the cycle is finished. I would just really like to get off on a good start with a nice stable tank.

What test kit are u using? Maybe its a bad kit. I've had that before

I have tested it with strips(2 dif ones) and an API test kit.

I've never seen strips for alk. I personally use a salifert. I also have never seen an api drop test either. wow I must be missing alot of stuff lol

Lol yeah the test strips are jungle something I can't remember. It test for ph, alk, nitrate and nitrite.

wait a sec, I have those...they are really really bad. I have no alk in my tanks either according to those strips. It just stays white on the pad

Haha yeah I was beginning to wonder because on my tank they stay at zero and on my gf tank they say 300+

I definitely wouldnt dose your tank based on those test kits. i hate to say it but for things like alk, magnesium calcium I only trust salifert or elos. They are very very sensitive tests. I believe they are under $30 online. I just finished up collecting my test kits yesterday I know it can be expensive. But so can dosing and screwing it up.
Just my opinion. :-D

I totally agree. I do plan on getting a better test kit but I just don't have the cash at the moment. Setting up a 60gal tank takes slot of cash lol

You dont have to tel me that! I just setup a 125g and 55g. And i still have 4 other tanks lol. I am so broke its no joke. Why it took me so long to get all the test kits. Been collecting them for months

Haha yeah I am only hoping to stick with the 60gal and maybe a 10gal planted tank later on. The thing about my 60is it is really long and tall allowing me to have a good variety of things. Do u think a tang would be ok I'n such a tank? It is 48in long 1 ft deep and 2 feet tall. Here is an old pic of it b4 it had water. Now there is slot more rock.

Attachments

• image-2727689025.jpg
    image-2727689025.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 83
I'm only contemplating putting a tang in my 55g now because i will be going to a 125g later this year. They really do need the swim room. But I'm the last person to judge. lol

I agree. The reason I think putting a tang I'n my tank is because it is the same length and height as a 120 allowing for lots of room to swim But not as deep. if it was 2 feet deep I would have a 120.

IMO Tangshan require a 125 as a minimum. The 125 is 6' long. My tangs can swim that in the blink of an eye. Next tank will be 96" or longer <g>

Don't bother testing anything but the 3 till the cycle is over. At that point use a calibrated refractometer to do a 30%. - 50% pwc. Test your change water chemistry for Alk after verifying SG to be sure.

DO NOT use test strips for anything outside of a swimming pool. Get some quality kits like the Salifert, LaMotte, Elos, Hach, etc.

Back
Top Bottom