Help with frozen food....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK this is going to sound dumb...but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I bought some frozen Formula One for my 6 line wrasse (only fish). I took out a cube, "thawed" it in some hot water....and discovered that it has the consistency of a gumdrop....much head scratching later I cut it up into pieces and put one in the tank, and it promptly vanished into a crevice in the LR because of the current. The wrasse knew it was there, and spent the next hour trying o figure out how to get at it....not sure if he ever did. So how exactly am I supposed to feed this stuff? Somehow I was expecting "normal" frozen food that thaws out into little bits....should I chop it up??

OK, go have a laugh and then give me an answer!

I believe formula One has some type of additive that causes gelling. Your best bet is to try to mash it into little peices.

It has been, a while for me, but I believe, a whole cube is a little too much for one fish. I use a little bit of brine for my 5 fish. I used to use a gel based food and my fish had a hard time eating that food off the bottom of the than (since, it sinks to the bottom). You have a wrasse, so he/she might eat off the botom.
I took out a cube, "thawed" it in some hot water
I soak mine in Selcor/Zoe/Garlic extreem (no other water), but, I use only about 1/3 of a cube of food.

I only gave him a tiny portion of the cube (about 1/8th) but it just vanished into the live rock and the crabs got it. Maybe I'll try shredding it.

I had a hard time chopping it up too. It's way too rubbery. I gave up on them and went with both mysis and brine shrimp, soaked of course.

Why buy that stuff when you can blend fresh seafood yourself? shrimp, scallops and whitefish mixed with some fresh garlic, nori and some zoe is what I use. If you have a better market, you can find some nicer stuff. I spend about $8-10 and have enough food to last 6 months.

When I feed, I break a hunk off and just break it apart with my fingers in the water. No preservatives and very healthy. Most my fish come up and eat from my hand.

Back
Top Bottom