Help with Live Rock and Live Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcpeek

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I have a 180 gallon tank. I plan on making it a FOWLR. If I want to go reef I will probably get another tank down the road. I have a few ?'s

1. How deep should my DSB be.

2. If I do the 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon (270lbs) should I remove the bioballs in the sump.

3. Should I get a cleaning crew or will the fish suffice? ( The only must have fish so far is a dog face puffer )

Thanks,

Toby

:invasion:

1. How deep should my DSB be.

I think the general consensus is 4-6"

2. If I do the 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon (270lbs) should I remove the bioballs in the sump.

IMO, yes. If you do not overstock the aquarium the LR and LS will handle all the nitrification and denitrification for you ;)

3. Should I get a cleaning crew or will the fish suffice? ( The only must have fish so far is a dog face puffer )

Depending on fish selection, a clean up crew may not be possible. A dogface puffer is not conducive to the health and well being of most clean up crew members.

Thanks Kevin. I will do some reading on the compatiblility of the fish/cleanup crew.

One thing depending on how dense your rock is you might have a problem getting 270lbs of rock in the tank. for example a fiji rock that weights 10lbs is ALOT bigger than most FL aquacultured rocks that weight the same amount.

I would say at an absolute minimum 1lb per gal and a more optimal 1.5lbs per gal

Back
Top Bottom