help with sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottytoohottie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have live sand in my 50g tank with lr. there is green hair algae that covers a lot of it. when i clean it out, it comes back in abaout a week. my tanks doesn't get sunlight, is this comming from my lr? can i use my python for the sand to get ride of it? not sure what a good way to clean sand is without getting inverts. i have a protein skimmer and 2 power heads so theres plenty of water movement. thanks

Hair algea feeds off the nutrients ( i think mostly phosphates) in your water. It want go away by pulling it out. Do you use ro water? or just tap? Also are you running a phosphate reactor? the phosphate reactor is cheap and will remove the phosphate from your water thus starving the hair algea.

Matt

What are your water readings?

How long are you running the lights?

What type of food are you using?

how often do you feed the fish?

Let's try to figure out where the nitrates and phosphates is coming from, that will starve the algae as Matt said.

Get a phosphate test kit and let us know what the reading is. In the tank and from your tap - assuming you're not using an RO/DI.

i do not us ro water but its a good idea and i know i should. I will keep a post on here with results of my water, thanks

Back
Top Bottom