Help With Snowflake Eel Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a few things sitting around the house being unused and whated to see what people thought. I want to set up a tank for Just a single snowflake eel, I have always wanted one but do not want it in my SPS reef tank. I have the following equipment and am wondering if it would be an adequet home for the little guy.

Equipment
2x 24watt t5ho (just to light the tank nothing major)
30+ Lb's or Rock
BH-1000 HOB Protien Skimmer
Fluval 200watt Heater
40g Tank
Bare bottom for easy clean up

Things I need to buy
2x Power heads
Snowflake eel

I know the tank is a bit on the small side but I see no issue with this for an Snowflake all alone in a tank.

My only consern is a lid...how should I do this? they dont have glass tops for a 40g. I was thinking of using egg create and cutting it to fit the tank and the skimmer as close as possible then filling in the gaps around the skimmer with sponge or something to keep him from crawling out?

Water changes are not a problem and could be done quite regularly, At least 10% once a week like the rest of my tanks.

Please leave me feed back.

I've never had an eel but I've heard they can get through very small holes, even egg crate depending on size. My lid to my tank broke a few months back and I couldn't locate one in stock. It was suggested to me that I have one made by a glass place. I did finally find one (waited over 2 months for it on back order) but this was the route I was going to go if I couldn't find anything.

I've never had an eel but I've heard they can get through very small holes, even egg crate depending on size. My lid to my tank broke a few months back and I couldn't locate one in stock. It was suggested to me that I have one made by a glass place. I did finally find one (waited over 2 months for it on back order) but this was the route I was going to go if I couldn't find anything.

thanks for the info,

Last edited by a moderator:
A reasonably grow. Snowflake eel is unlikely to get through the holes. But they are retardedly strong for their size. Could probably lift it or even break it. Maybe try an acrylic lid cut to size? That could even be weighted at the corners.

If it's a 40g breeder Aqueon makes a glass lid. Another option is acrylic. Most Menards and stores like that carry it, it's usually under the name of Lucite or Plexiglas.

If it's a 40g breeder Aqueon makes a glass lid. Another option is acrylic. Most Menards and stores like that carry it, it's usually under the name of Lucite or Plexiglas.

my only concern is because of the HoB equipment beings this wont be a tank that has a sump. I dont know how i will put a tight lid on it. I would have to make a template and have it cut out I guess.

Def will want a top. I worked at a whole sale supplier an the eel tank always had to have double lids cause they are like snakes. Will get the hell out of ur tank if it wants too. Good luck.

thanks for the info,

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I was at my LFS last night. My buddy told me a story of a snowflake that escaped through the tank plumbing and all the way into the bioball tank that supports the store tank network. He said he has been in there for years, and pops up to show his face once and a while. He has no idea what he is eating.

He said that those snowflake eels are shifty creatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! I had a friend in college who had something like that happen! He looked all over for him and couldn't find him...he found him in his sump! Not sure how the heck he got down there but he did! That's just crazy! I think the snowflakes are cool but quite honestly, I'm SCARED of them! LOL!

Haha yeah I'm a bit concerned how Im going to keep him in the tank because I know they enjoy escaping.

My snowflake hides most of the time. He comes out at night, swims around, and tries to get out when he sees my dog. I have an acrylic lid over mine and I covered any holes with plastic and duct tape. I will be running some HOB equipment once I get the time to get some new filters and find the missing piece to my seaclone skimmer so it can be HOB again. My plan is to cut the plastic that I taped in place to fit, but keep a flap there to cover as much as possible. These guys are crazy in terms of escape ability. I wouldn't give them an inch.

So I was just now reading on eels ( they scare me! LOL) and I saw where they has PVC running under the sand bed and opening on two sides for it to hide in. That's pretty cool! Wonder how they clean that? 0_o

Before we eel proofed our tank. He was always escaping. We have him in an acrylic tank so we put some acrylic on the openings and 4 locks on each side. So far so good! When he was smaller he kept getting into the built in overflow. If you go with egg crate (you will have fast water evaporation) make sure to lock it down tight because they are strong. :)

Got zebra and only time he attempted an escape is when I left food out I think he smelt it and went looking he jumped down my overflow to the sump eels so awesome

They are really cool, but my tank has too many tempting morsels in it. Hehe. I've heard that these guys can be saved even if they've been carpet surfing long enough to get crispy.

Back
Top Bottom