heniochus butterfly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparkee61

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just need some opinions on whether introducing Heinochus black and White Butterfly would be ok in reef aquarium. I know of some people have them in their reef tank and they are fine.( as long as you feed them well with mysis or other meaty food) But then I read that they are not reef safe and will feed on corals.

My answer is no. I tried many 'with caution' over the years. Nothing worked out. When it comes own to a reef, the coral are the most important thing in there for me. I won't ever put a with caution fish in a reef ever again. It isn't worth the cost.

Just need some opinions on whether introducing Heinochus black and White Butterfly would be ok in reef aquarium. I know of some people have them in their reef tank and they are fine.( as long as you feed them well with mysis or other meaty food) But then I read that they are not reef safe and will feed on corals.
It really depends on what is in your reef and which specie you are wanting. H. acuminatus and H. diphreutes are mainly plankton feeders however they will also eat benthic inverts such as clams and sponges and worms. If you have any of these inverts in your reef, I wouldn't add the fish. H. monoceros and H. singularius are a definite no as corals are part of their usual diet. Any of the brown and white Heniochus are also a definite no as they all are mainly coral feeders.
Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom