Here's a few shots of the tank now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So what do you guys think? Any recomendations for change?

Attachments

• DSC_0295.jpg
    DSC_0295.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0297.jpg
    DSC_0297.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0296.jpg
    DSC_0296.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0298.jpg
    DSC_0298.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 55
Very nice. Maybe a little more live rock if you wanted, but you don't really need it. What kind of camera do you use, pretty good pics (y)

looks good :) Only thing i would add is a nice black or dark blue background. It would help hide the cords and filter. Also, if you go with black, paint the grey doohickey on the filter intake black... it will blend in alot better ;)

I used a nikon d90 camera. If a background is all i need then I'd say my first sw tank was a success, for now anyway. I have 62 lbs of rock in there, but it seems it cover a lot of area. I may get another piece or two if i see some that I like.

Looks pretty nice. Maybe some mushrooms to grow and hide some of the rock. They are very hardy.

What type of mushrooms would you recommend. And if I decide to try something like that, would I need to supplement my tank or would the salt mix take care of their needs. I am nowhere near ready to try a reef type setup yet. Would any of the fish I plan to have in here be trouble for mushrooms.(1 firefish, 1 flasher wrasse, 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 powder brown tang.) What about a bullseye and blue ricordia shroom? Would these two types eat my snails or shrimp?

Make sure the rocks are far enuf away from the sides to clean. They'll get ugly before long and you wanna be able to get a scraper or magnet cleaner down there.

I'd keep adding larger pieces of rock too. Right on top of what you got there stacked against the back wall.

Mushrooms are some of the easiest corals there are IMO. No special care either, just water changes like you'd normally do. What kinda lighting do you have? Maybe the rocks you add can be mushrooms on rock already. I've seen small and larger rocks.

I've heard of the hairy mushroom eating fish. That's in the Rhodactis family. So is the bullseye, but I've not read about them eating fish or small inverts. It's big, so keep available tank space in mind. They're also rather fuzzy looking and uglier IMO. I had hairy mushrooms that I started to peel away since they just went crazy and weren't that nice looking in large numbers.

The mushrooms in the Actinodiscus family are those more common mushrooms you'll see. Bluish, reddish, striped, spotted, etc. I'd focus on those since they are much prettier anyway.

The ricordea won't eat critters either.

Check this... http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=597+598&pCatId=598

Last edited:
The blue or purple mush rooms would be nice. Just PWC`s needed to supplement their trace element needs. You can see in the pic how they attach to the LR and cover them up a bit. Kind of gives it color.

012_499600.jpg

the tank is 75g. It's tempoary till I get the 150g I have started up(should be this fall at the latest.) I have 2 54w 12000k t5ho bulbs and 2 54w actinic bulbs for lights. The 150 has 4 54w 12000k t5ho's and 4 54w actinic. And the more I think about it, I'm gonna wait till the 150 is fired up and running before I get a tang. You guys know what your doing and I don't, would be stupid to get one just to have to move it cuz I couldn't wait and got ahead of myself. Plus what if something happens and I can't get the 150 going? I may get a blue ricordia to try my hand at corals. When they say low water movement, what do they mean(a gentle current or stagnant water?) And will the lights I have be too much for them as well? I only have an emperor 400 and an octopus 300f skimmer for water movement.

Back
Top Bottom