Hippo Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
Just wanted to hear from some owners of the Hippo Tang. Want to know how much luck they have with them in captivity, eating habits, etc etc...I am thinking about adding one to my 75 gallon FOWLR, containing a pair of false perc's, BL hermits, and snails...any info would be great. thanks
travis

The main problem with tangs (escpeciaally hippos) is parasitic pathogens and poor diet. Once acclimated properly and provided with a good hebavor diet, they can be great long lived fish. I have had mine now for over two years and other than the initial intro, has been in excellent health since.

Always quarantine new arrivals and be prepared to treat if necessary. With hippos, I would recommend hyposalinity or Cupramine if needed. They are also very prone to secondary infection, so make sure there is a good source to purchase a gram negative anti-biotic nearby if needed.

Cheers
Steve

As long as we are on this subject, can anyone tell me why hippo tang prices have gone so high?....i use to see them as juveniles ( 1" - 2" ) for no more than $30. now i see the same one for as much as $70. is it because of the Nemo movie?...just very curiuos

thanks for the info steve...IYO do you think they make for interesting inhabitants...or would you have chosen another specimen??

Depends on what you plan on keeping with them really. They are very active and quite "excitable". I probabley would choose different one if I had a much larger tank but I would not hesitate to include one. For your 75 though, I think it would make a great addition. The only other that I would personally consider instead for that size tank would be a purple tang.

Cheers
Steve

Hmm....Ill check into that for sure...thanks Steve.

Back
Top Bottom