hippo tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schmilnik

Aquarium Advice Regular
My friend got rid of his tank and he gave me his hippo tang he is about 3 inches. How long do you think I can house him in a 46 gallon?

IMO I dont think you can house him in that size tank. They need plenty of swimming room which I dont think a 46 can handle. I would suggest a 100+ tank. I know it`s not what you want to hear but JMO.

Well it depends on how big the fish is. If its bigger than 2-2 1/2 inches then I would sell him to you LFS. I hear they can get up to 1'. with right conditions. My brother has one in his 30g tank but its only an 1 inch big and hes gonna trade it back when it gets an inch bigger. I would recommend trading to the LFS.

until yesterday? I think even a three inch tang is hard-pressed to be as active as they should be for good growth.

Hippo tangs grow very fast when well-fed and to be honest 3" is already pushing it for a 46 gallon. I'd say it could live there a couple months, but at that point of time it's such a stress on the fish it isn't even worth it to have to reacclimate it to a different tank, find it a new home, etc.

Back
Top Bottom