hippo tang in a 20 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no i wouldnt recommend putting a hippo tang in a 20g

Id advise against it. Never heard those called a hippo tang either.

I remember readin that site. Most of the info it gives are false. They are just trying to sell.

Blue tangs are also called: hippo tang and regal tang :)

They are saying that for the size they sell them at, they can be housed in a 20g. I disagree of course and thier site is terrible for giving misleading information. A hippo tang doesn't stop at 5" which is the largest the site sells. It can grow to 12" and needs a 75g or larger tank.

I would not listen to anything that site has to say as far as tank size. Its very obvious that they are only trying to sell, and could care less about the fish. Hippo tangs need at least 75 i think...and the triggers i dont know about

First step to success would be stop looking at that site IMO.

then what can I keep in my tank?

would it be possible to keep dwarf angeldish in my tank?

umm...possibly...i think they need 30 gallons tho. You could go green cromis i think... i didnt really like them at first, but now every time i see a school of them, i think it looks pretty neet actually. Or if you wanted just damsels you could do that, but i woulndt keep damsels with anything, because they are very aggressive. or a clown pair if you wanted?

I also really like green chromis for some reason, they are very active.

yeah, i just got back from the lfs, and i decided that once my tank is done cycling, i'm gonna get about 5 chromis too. Its for a 55 gallon tank. I'd also like some advice on them too...would they be good w/a flame angel? And a flame hawkfish? i know hawks can be territorial at times, but dont chromis stay at the top of the tank mostly?

I have 2 chromis with my coral beauty no problem. My chromis are all over the tank most of the time. Also if its any significance I had my chromis in the tank before i added the coral beauty and my percs (2). They are all happy and very active together.

yeah, thats what i was thinking i should do...ad the chromis first so they are used to everything and do the flame last. or should i do the hawk last, if they even go with the other 2?

I currently have a 20 gal. tank w/ 3 devil blue damsels but they say I can take them back when I have my tank cycled

my lfs says I can problably keep the regal tang for a yr. or more before maybe out growing the tank because most of them I've seen take a long time to grow

If this doesn't work out I'm just going to get dwarf angelfish

You win some you lose someI guess...Just because it fits in your tank doesnt mean it should be there. IMO its not very humane to put a fish that needs a large swimming area in a small tank lke a 20g. Would you like to live in a 7x3 cell for a year before you grew a few inches?

gopeder111 said:
my lfs says I can problably keep the regal tang for a yr. or more before maybe out growing the tank because most of them I've seen take a long time to grow

This is a very bad idea and a bad fishkeeping practice. Buy fish suited to your tank. Fish shouldn't be thought of as a piece of rented furniture that can be returned when your done with it. It's stressful on the fish and unfair. Like mentioned already, this fish regardless of how small it is, needs more swimming room than a 20g will offer. And to keep one in a 20g for a year? That's just insane thinking.

goperder111 said:
If this doesn't work out I'm just going to get dwarf angelfish

A 20g is to small for a dwarf angel as well. They need no less than 30g. Small tanks can be very limiting but you still have a good many options for some very colorful fish. Fish suitable to a 20g would be things like damsels, clowns, basslets, gobies, some types of blennies, dartfish/firefish and probably others that I just can't think of right now. There is also a variety of ornamental inverts that would add a splash of color and movement to the tank as well as perform clean up duties. Here is a link to liveaquaria. They have a section for fish suitable to a nano (anything under 30g) type tank. Maybe this will give you some ideas.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=497

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/index.php?p=getdb&db_id=7

This link is to a search feature where you can search for fish, appropriate to tank size. It is sad that people (the LFS in this case) apply the "throw away" mentality to living creatures. You definitely need to buy fish that are suitable for the size tank you have....or cough up the bucks for a bigger tank. Anything else would be irresponsible in my opinion. You are attempting to find out about the fish first, this is a good thing, but don't depend on just one site. Look at many and you can get a general idea on what the "truth" is.

On another note, I sure wish you would have found us before you made the choice to cycle with damsels.....I sure hope they survive the process.

Back
Top Bottom