Hippo Tang QT dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyHooligan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my Hippo Tang in 10g QT (along w/ some fiji LR) for 4 days now, still not very active. Water parameters good all except for PH at 7.4 which is obviously too low.
I used a bunch of left over crushed coral as substrate, which buffers PH and causes nitrate problems?

Should I cut the QT short, acclimate and get him to the display ASAP?
Try to get the CC out while he's still in there?

The ultimate solution would be to observe him for at least a few weeks but If it looks pretty bad for him in that 10 gallon QT I dont know. I sure would hate to tell you to acclimate and transfer to the bigger tank and then your tank come down with ick. Hippo`s are notorius for being ick magnets.

The ultimate solution would be to observe him for at least a few weeks but If it looks pretty bad for him in that 10 gallon QT I dont know. I sure would hate to tell you to acclimate and transfer to the bigger tank and then your tank come down with ick. Hippo`s are notorius for being ick magnets.

I'm just concerned about the PH being that low(7.4).
I'm going to leave him in the QT and slowly remove the CC and small weekly PWCs to get the PH up.

I would suggest doing a five gallon water change on your DT every week and using the change water in the QT. That way your acclimating the hippo in sorts and keeping the ph up in the QT...just a thought
Its alright to put water from DT>QT jsut dont go QT>DT

The CC won't buffer the pH as you think it will. If the tank is cycled you can do 50% water changes every 3 days and if not, daily. How long has the qt been up and running? What do you have for filtration? What salt are you using? You can use 3/4"-1" tubing to evacuate the substrate and include a 50% water change at the same time.

The CC won't buffer the pH as you think it will. If the tank is cycled you can do 50% water changes every 3 days and if not, daily. How long has the qt been up and running? What do you have for filtration? What salt are you using? You can use 3/4"-1" tubing to evacuate the substrate and include a 50% water change at the same time.

The tank has been cycled for about a 1.5 months, it's had a wrasse just prior to the hippo.
Right now it's just the hippo, and a lg piece of LR.
I'm using a HOB and UGF, recently shut off the UGF. Instant Ocean salt.
3/4-1" tubing... normal syphon be enough to pull the CC out?

I'd go with 1" tubing to siphon and yes, it'll be strong enough. I've never had IO give me that low of a reading for pH, but you can always buffer the water before performing a water change. After you QT the hippo, I'd ditch the UGF and leave it up to the hob. If the UGF has been in the tank long I would leave it until qt period is over since you don't want any noxious waste in the water column from siphoning while an animal is in the tank.

Tonight ph was 8.2 ~ the tang looks happy and swimming around.
ditch the UGF and leave it up to the hob.
for sure, I'm not certain it's even doing anything.
I'm just gonna leave it turned off for a couple days and watch the ammonia.
Prolly leave an airstone running for the LR

I agree with James that CC does not buffer as much as everyone thinks it does. Back when I first started my LFS got me thinking that only to find out it wasnt much of a difference.

I'd leave the UGF functional, you don't want anything rotting down there...change it when the tank has no fish.

Back
Top Bottom