Hitchhiker or molting ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt 501

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought some more live rock a couple of days ago and this morning I found a dead electric blue hermit without it's shell. Both my electric blue hermits are fine and are scurrying around my tank in their normal unique style, so could this be a hitchhiker or has one of my crabs molted ??

It is very "meaty" and the claws are solid, unlike a molting. Which led me to thinking hitchhiker.

I saw the molting of one of my red legged hermits and it looked like something pulled it out of its shell. I didn't examine it closely, but if it is a hitch hiker, good find! Can you count up all of your electric blues? I only have a few hermits so I'm always able to verify if they're all safe

Hermit crabs molt? Sorry to jump in LOL. I've found numerous "dead" crabs over the last few months and just assumed they were dead.

Hermit crabs molt? Sorry to jump in LOL. I've found numerous "dead" crabs over the last few months and just assumed they were dead.

Well, I dont have 100+ little critters in my tank so I can account for them all =P. Whenever I see a molting, I would go find my 3 small hermits and they would still always be there. I also saw my large hermit molt recently. It changed from a dark red to orange

Back
Top Bottom