hob filter for fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep. I've got 20lbs of LR in my 20 gallon nano, with Purigen and floss pads in the HOB, and my water parameters are perfect.

That's pretty sweet then. So a little off topic but I have been researching livestock for the tank and I am confused about flame angels. I would like to have one as the center attraction in my tank but some sites say 70 gallons minimum while others say 30. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks! That's a nice looking fish. Any recommendations on brands of salt? Is instant ocean ok to use?

I use Instant Ocean and have no problems. I'll switch to Reef Crystals about 6 weeks before I start adding corals, but right now I use their regular salt mix.

Oh, and when I mix, I add the salt to the water with the powerhead in the mix container running, the let it go overnight with the powerhead and heater so that it's completely mixed and ready for use the next day.

Great advice. I would have never thought to do that. I'm wondering if I should get a small power head to put on the opposite side of the aquarium facing the live rock to prevent dead spots?

Great advice. I would have never thought to do that. I'm wondering if I should get a small power head to put on the opposite side of the aquarium facing the live rock to prevent dead spots?

i would say move your filter slighty left of the middle on the tank and place the powerhead on the opposite side of the tank up on top facing down towards the intake.. get me? it has to be a nano though something soft or else nothing will survive the torrents lol

Cool. I will do that for sure. Should I just set up without a power head first and see how it does?

Cool. I will do that for sure. Should I just set up without a power head first and see how it does?

As long as you have water movement, (i.e. your filter output) you'll be fine. If you want more flow, add the powerhead.

Awesome. Wheres a good place to get some good inexpensive live rock?

Big x2 on group buys, everyone saves on shipping.

so how much is the saving percentage compare to regular non-bulk group buyer? and how does everyone save on shipping? i thought shipping is usually flat rate that's determined by the package carrier

so how much is the saving percentage compare to regular non-bulk group buyer? and how does everyone save on shipping? i thought shipping is usually flat rate that's determined by the package carrier

If its flat rate then you both just split the shipping in half, or if there's 3 of you then 3 ways and so on.

Not with BRS buys. You pay shipping individually, but get up to 21% off products, depending on what they are.

Not with BRS buys. You pay shipping individually, but get up to 21% off products, depending on what they are.

I don't think your grasping the concept, if a company has a flat rate of $24.00 shipping and you get 60lbs of rock but you and your buddy only need 30lbs each, then you just split the shipping amongst yourselves for $12 each. Its a really simple process and you both save.

I don't think your grasping the concept, if a company has a flat rate of $24.00 shipping and you get 60lbs of rock but you and your buddy only need 30lbs each, then you just split the shipping amongst yourselves for $12 each. Its a really simple process and you both save.

Only if you and your buddy are close to each other and can do a local pickup. The standard BRS group buy does not discount shipping beyond their normal discount nor do they offer a multi-ship option. Other stores offer this, BRS does not.

Only if you and your buddy are close to each other and can do a local pickup. The standard BRS group buy does not discount shipping beyond their normal discount nor do they offer a multi-ship option. Other stores offer this, BRS does not.

Ok ill just stop the madness here I'm not talking about using a site for the actual grouping, I meant one person ordering multiple things for multiple people as his own purchase, they can each pay for their portion of shipping and goods outside that website lol

Anyways to the OP group buys are an awesome way to save a lot of money with friends.

Ok ill just stop the madness here I'm not talking about using a site for the actual grouping, I meant one person ordering multiple things for multiple people as his own purchase, they can each pay for their portion of shipping and goods outside that website lol

Anyways to the OP group buys are an awesome way to save a lot of money with friends.

I understand what you're saying, but there are other reef stores that do group buys only if everyone is in the same area and they will break the order up for you (and split shipping) automatically, kinda like splitting a check at a restaurant. It's an important distinction, and one that almost threw me for a loop when I bought on my first group buy at BRS.

ETA: </madness> :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom