Hospital tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaileykari

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I and sadly my fish ran out of luck. I did not quarantine, and it's been fine for 10 years.
Have ich . Very short on room , but set up ten gallon hosp tank. Will forever quarantine after this.
I took ten gallons of tank water, added Ich-X and have a Tomato clown, and Ocellerous clown,
Small Yellow Tang in hosp tank. Changing 2 1/2 gallon daily. Ammonia is .25 will that hurt the fish? I don't want to not feed them enough.

Ammonia levels are never good at any level. Best thing I did was turned the heat up as high as my fish could handle. Left lights off. Waited for 3 days and did a 50% water change. 1-2 days do another water change. Just make sure you add the conditioner each water change. Gotta keep them stress free, and the slime coat on they're body. Less slime more stress, more sick fish. Lights out I found is the best. Even if you gotta cover the tank with a blanket or something. Sounds too simple to work but, but it does.

Oh ! and that ich X will stain your tank, don't know if you know that. Just a heads up!

How does it stain, it's a clear liquid?
Having heat higher helps with ammonia?
Temp now is 78

If the treatment in the bottle is blue, it will stain. The heat will kill the ich. In order to get the ammonia level down you'd have to do water changes. If you put something new in the tank it might have spiked that ammonia level.

This is sw ich. Heat won’t do anything. Treating in the hospital tank and leaving the display fallow for 8-10 weeks is the only guaranteed way to 100% rid the tank of ich.

Been almost two weeks, changing fifty percent water every day in hospital tank. Ammonia still there. Will I have to keep doing this dailey for four more weeks?[emoji44]

Me again, now I have .25 nitrites in the hosp tank, I'm still doing do percent water changes every day. Would the fish be better back in the display? It's been fallow for three weeks. I know it should be longer, but won't the ammonia and nitrites be worse for the fish?

It sounds kind of like my hosp tank is cycling....I filled it with water from my display to begin with....[emoji44][emoji848]if it is cycling...will the fish survive through that with the water changes?

The nitrate cycle will always try to complete. That’s nature doing its thing.
The issue is that in an empty tank there isn’t much, of any, area for the bacteria to colonize. This prevents enough from establishing to run in a way that your display does. This is why we suggest 1 lbs of rock and also sand per gallon in the display to ensure there is enough surface area for bacteria.
With that said, more water changes.

Back
Top Bottom