how big a tank for angels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
how big a tank for angels?

i went to the local lfs and saw they had a queen angle, large and also in the juvinile form. I was wondering what size tank they would need, not for my current 100 gal, but for a future tank, as i thought it was so beautiful!

and are they reef safe. I have heard they eat soft corals? would they be okay in a sps tank?

thanx andrew

Large growing angels like the Queen should be housed in a 75 gal or larger set up if you want other large species as well. What was the future tank meant to be?

and are they reef safe. I have heard they eat soft corals? would they be okay in a sps tank?
They'll eat it like candy. Mabye not while they are still juvenilles but as they age, they will munch on all types of corals...

Cheers
Steve

how does that work for a 75 gallon tank? if the fish gets 15 inches and we follow the 1" of fish per 5 gallons he would be already maxed out. i am so curious because it never made sense to me why people would ever buy fish that big because unless you had a 500 gallon tank you couldn't have anything else in there with it!
steve

In a wild setting it is more than possible for these angels to get quite large. In a captive environment it is rare they will get beyond 7-9" throughout their lives even in a very large aquarium with ample growing room.

Cheers
Steve

pomme said:
will they eat on all corals, like sps?
They will nip at anything with polyps. LPS, SPS and soft corals; nothing will escape their bite once they become prone to it. They will not typically eat the coral but instead irritate it by nipping at it as they pass by often causing irrepairable damage if doen too often.

it will be about a 500 gal hopefully!
Cool! Did you tell the wife yet 8O

Cheers
Steve

na not yet, probably in about 3 years! will a juvinile blue angle be okay in a 100gal for this length of time?

Depends on what else if anything that may get housed with the angel. How fast they grow also has alot to do with feedings and other environmental conditions. I personally do not think it will be an issue.

Cheers
Steve

cool, whats the chance of it eating the corals do you think, 50/50, and what sort of age do they atart doing this, is it when they start to get there adult colours or later?

pomme said:
cool, whats the chance of it eating the corals do you think, 50/50, and what sort of age do they atart doing this, is it when they start to get there adult colours or later?
They are pretty much guaranteed to start just before the "change" starts but there is still a good chance there will be the occasional chomp from time to time before hand but not to a destructive point.

Keep in mind that the change in large angels to their adult stage is not a timeframe but rather an environmental reaction. No one has truely documented this but from what I understand it has little do do with size or age.

Cheers
Steve

oh right i hadnt realised that, thats quite weird then. its a pitty such lovely fish, if only....................

IMO, angels are best kept in FOWLR. Although there r suggestions 2 keep them while they're juvenile, however, once they start nipping at those beautiful sps n lps in our reef tank, we got to remove them. its not easy to catch fishes once they r in the tank.

CHEEERS!

have you considered an angel of the genus Genicanthus? they get moderatly big (around 7") and are COMPLETELY reef safe.

check them out at Wet Web Media

i recently bought one, and she is a beauty. always on the move in and out of rocks. she's hard to get a good picture of though.

here's my best efforts

angelzoom.jpg

i have been thinking about this some more, and would they be okay if i got it when juvenile and then get it feeding so used to normal food when growing up, so wont be so tempted by my corals.

do you think a juvenile would be okay for a year in my 100 gal, then go into a 200 gal tank but around a 300 - 400 gal system?

A juvenile would be OK in a 100 gallon. I have a 5" Maculosus (Map Angel) in a 210. I'll have to see how big she gets, I may upgrade someday to a larger tank. (ya right, gotta get that one past the wife).
I'm getting ready to try a few mushroom corals, I'll let you know how it turns out.
8O
If it doesn't work, the corals will go. I value my fish much more that any coral. It may come down to that choice with anyone wanting a large angel in a reef tank.
Good luck!! There are always exceptions to every rule!

pomme...let me sum this up for you
angels eat corals
all the time. 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. there are virtually no exceptions. if you want angelfish, you cant have corals. well, live corals anyhow!

Back
Top Bottom