How do I both make and keep up with saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bousin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This may sound dumb but I am not new to fish tanks but I am bran new to salt water fish tanks. I am in the process of standing up a 55gal FOWLR tank and have every possible piece of equipment needed. My biggest hang up is making the saltwater and keeping up with the need to add more. With that said, I have 55 gal of RODI water already dripped all it needs is salt. So I figured I'd make the salt and add the entire batch to the tank. Great, now what? In the past I have needed to add at least bi weekly RO water to top of the tank due to evaporation. Now what do I do? In addition if I do a water change how do I then make new saltwater match the required salinity in the tank. Is it a math problem, am seriously over thinking this? Thanks to anyone willing to offer advice and experience to my retarded delma.

DJ

Welcome Bousin! You will need to top off with regular R.O. water. I always have a container of water sitting ready, just in case something happens, you can do a water change lickity split.
you will need to purchase a refractometer to measure salinity. Otherwise, if you have your water at 1.026, and you do a water change with 1.025, it's not the end of the world. We are talking partial water changes, not the entire volume. HTH

To help with your water changes, buy a Brute food grade trash can and lid. Then add a power head, heater, and thermometer. It's best to premix your saltwater a day or two in advance of a partial water change. This way the water is the same temp and salinity as your display tank.

When it's time for a PWC, I simply add 10-15 gallons of RO water, turn on the power head, then add my salt. The power head will essentially mix your water for you. Then let it sit overnight with the heater and power head on.

Here's a pic if my homemade setup. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389325465.013452.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389325477.044890.jpg

Great set up!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you Otto that's a huge help. I have the brute can but it's not set up like yours, I may steal your idea. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom