How fast to bring up salinity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeter22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm very new to saltwater tanks. Mine has been up and running with fish since November. I have done 2 water changes between now and then. I never added salt to the water during the water changes (obviously I misunderstood how to do water changes). I've been adding 2 1/2 cups of salt to 5 gl of water that I take out of the tank then return to the tank. Is this a good method? Also, what should I have my salinity level be at and how fast should I get it to that level? I have a Lemonpeel Angelfish and a Lubbock Fairy Wrasse. Below are the dates and measures of the salinity levels.
1-22 = 22 1-23 = 24.5 1-25 = 27 1-29 = 28
Any advice is welcomed.

Hi I am no expert yet but a few books and some good sources I have started my first tank too :) What all do you have inside the tank? Is it fish only? I was told salinity between 1.020 - 1.022 BUT 1.020 being most favorable was good for fish and live rock. If this is the case for you then your salinity is really high. Do you use RO/DI water? You should be pre mixing your water with salt 2 days before you change water and the salinity should be checked in both tank and new mix to make sure your not addin to much salt. Water changes should be every week sometimes 2 weeks depends on how good the biological filter is. You should be changing 10-15% of your water volume to get nitrates out and replace nutrients lost. Also you need to make sure to heat the water to the same temp as your water so It doesn't shock the Fish. do you use test kits? If not you should really get some. Don't ever just pour salt in that could easily kill all your fish. Remember water evaporates and salt doesn't so if the salinity goes up just add some good old RO/DI water to top it off :) good luck

+1 for tlc.1.020-1.023 for fish only with live rock. 1.026 for reef.
every 2 days check the level of your tank,the easy way is mark the glass with pen or tape,if you have a sump then mark the return pump section.top up the water level every 2 days with RO/DI water(not salt water).each week remove 10% of the tank water and replace with saltwater,20% if you do it 2 weekly.mix your RO/DI water with salt 24hours before you do the water change,put a heater and a powerhead in with it to mix and heat the water.check the salinity and temp of new water,if it matches do the change.

I'm very new to saltwater tanks. Mine has been up and running with fish since November. I have done 2 water changes between now and then. I never added salt to the water during the water changes (obviously I misunderstood how to do water changes). I've been adding 2 1/2 cups of salt to 5 gl of water that I take out of the tank then return to the tank. Is this a good method? Also, what should I have my salinity level be at and how fast should I get it to that level? I have a Lemonpeel Angelfish and a Lubbock Fairy Wrasse. Below are the dates and measures of the salinity levels.
1-22 = 22 1-23 = 24.5 1-25 = 27 1-29 = 28
Any advice is welcomed.

In easy terms to understand. If you are only replacing water that evaporated from your tank, add dechlorinated fresh water only. If you are replacing water that you removed from the tank for whatever reason, you need to replace that with dechlorinated, well mixed salt water. Salinity for a fish only tank is anywhere from .020 to .025 with the lower end of that scale being the better due to less chance of disease for your fish. You don't want wild swings in your salinity levels. R/O water is not needed for a FOWLR. Dechlorinated tap water, well mixed and aerated for at least 5 hours with a submersible water pump before you add it to your tank is fine. Never add salt directly to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom