How long to house in Quarantine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandc805

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How long should a fish be housed in the QT tank before moved over to the main tank. For Example, some fish require a stable tank with algae and LR which it can graze on throughout the day. If all the QT tank has is a pot for hiding and nothing else will the fish eventually get stressed and die if held for a week or 2 in the QT tank?

I've always heard to keep them in there between 2-4 weeks. You can treat the fish with copper sulphate for parasites during this time. You need to do a 10-15% every other day so ammonia levels stay low etc. Just make sure you test the water often. Even if the fish is a grazer and feeds off algae, I always supplement feed. I try to get them as healthy as possible before moving them to my tank. They will probably be a little stressed and may not eat for a few days after the move which can lower their immune system, so getting them to optimum health is important.

I QT for 4-6 weeks depends on the fish Tangs get 6 weeks coral and inverts 2 weeks

Back
Top Bottom