how many fish can i fit in my 45 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarrett

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 45 gallon tank with about 30 lbs of live rock and alot of hiding places, in their right now is 2 domino damsels, 1 tomato clown, 1 niger trigger fish and one fiji neon (toby) puffer fish. im contemplating taking the 2 domino damsels out but i want to see if i could fit maybe 2 more smaller fish comfortbly in their that way i dont have to go through the stress of catching them. also any reccomendations of extra fish that would be compatible with the stuff in their right now.

thanks guys!

Domino Damsels: aggressive and max size 4.5"
Tomato Clown: max size 5"
Niger Trigger Fish: aggressive max size 1' (min tank size 70G)

Just from that, I'd think about at least getting 15lbs more LR. Return the Niger Trigger Fish, so you can get more "smaller fish"

their all still babys so im in no rush to rip the niger trigger fish out yet hes still got a year but i kno he has to come out when he gets older, but if i get more live rock you think itll make the tank more enjoyable for them? i feel like i have alot of rock in their as it is, its pretty packed out

any recommendations of a colorful small size fish that can get along with the damsels? i put a royal gramma in thier not knowing and got destroyed by my damsel their such dickheads but i cant catch them for **** it sucks!

The main reason I said more LR was to compensate for adding more fish (bioload) so make sure you have enough surface area (LR) for your bacteria to grow on to break down the waste. I love my royal gramma, and IMO damsels are just mean!

Ok so if i add more live rock you think my fish will be more comfortble with probally one possibly 2 more tank mates? My fishs health and happiness is my main concern more then my own personal wants for the tank

You'll have to see what others say, but with the Trigger fish I'd say no. Even though it is still small, there is some level of stress that comes into play being in a small tank. I feel it'd be more crowded and more likely to become stressed.

Alrigjt maybe ill just wait then and when i pull the trigger out in the future ill get more fish id rather these damsels out i wish i could catch em lol thnx for your help

Back
Top Bottom