How much and how many times a day should i feed my new Niger Trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hunterrizer_623

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just bought a 3 1/2 to 4 inch Niger Trigger friday and he is absolutely beautiful and loves to swim around the tank. But im not sure how much i should be feeding him and how many times a day.

I have been feeding him 2x a day. Half a cube of brine shrimp (until i go buy more of a selection for him) each time. But he still seems to be hungry in between feedings.

I would not feed twice a day. You are going to get a nutrient build up in a short time and then you'll be making threads on how to get rid of cyanobacteria and/or nuisance hair algae.
Once a day is more than enough if it's on the thin side, and every other day is just fine.

They'll practically always eat. But I agree, every other day is plenty. I was feeding daily and algae exploded!! Now I feed every two to three days, and the algae is much less of a problem. It won't hurt the fish to do that at all and it's better for the overall health of the tank... And your wallet!!

Brine are pretty small and don't have all that much nutritional value. I would try some PE mysis and feed once a day. They have more meat and nutritional value to them and should keep your fish full longer. Alternate foods on different days. It's not great to fee the same thing all the time. Fish will eat pretty much any time you put food in, so you can't really judge hunger by whether or not they eat.

Back
Top Bottom