How much rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know there's a lot of different opinions on the amount of LR to have in a tank, I figured I would put this out there. Here's a pic of what I already have in there...

image-760474386.jpg

I am planning on adding about 40 more lbs of Fiji tonight... Am I overdoing the rock?

Personally, I think is is kind of hard to overdo rock. You like to have alot of places for your fish to hide and also alot of places to put corals. Others like the sparce look. Just a matter of taste, I guess. I do know that more rock is also more surfaces for beneficial bacteria to grow, so that is also good.

Nice thanks spoon! I kinda had a feeling that was the case...

Another 40# will put your tank right were it should be, IMO. If it looks a little crowded to you, just put some in your sump.

Speaking of sump... I don't have one yet. I want to use my 10 gallon as one, does anyone have any good plans for making one with a 10 gallon they could post? Maybe a picture diagram? Thanks!

One thing I learned a long time ago was to make sure you have no "dead water". What I mean is make sure you have current that goes everywhere. No little corner of the tank that gets no circulation. when I first put in my live rock I create a dead zone behind them because my water flow was not strong enough. I had a fish end up in this are and die and his pollution ended causing a lot of loss. If you build up a large rock structure just make sure you have consistent water flow everywhere.

Yea ill keep an eye on it. In the 55 gallon I have a Koralia 1400 gph and a Koralia 550 gph and they collectively move some water. I'm considering getting a nano and have it facing straight up to create some surface disturbance so the other 2 can concentrate on the flow around the live rock... What do you think?

Benamayer said:
Speaking of sump... I don't have one yet. I want to use my 10 gallon as one, does anyone have any good plans for making one with a 10 gallon they could post? Maybe a picture diagram? Thanks!

This is my 10g sump. I changed it up as I learned about. There is a lot of DIY stuff on the board as well as YouTube videos. I also made a PVC overflow w/ skimmer suction. All of my learning was from YouTube. One thing to remember is depending on the overflow side depends on your pump size. EG, 1 inch overflow flows about 375 gph, you need a pump that will double this because the height of your tank effects flow. Last pic shows the PVC overflow in tank.

With rio+ 1700 pump and PVC overflow, I'm in mine 90$.

Back
Top Bottom