How much will 80lbs of LR 'fill up' a 55gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Simple question really, how much will 80lbs of LR (Keys and Gulf, 40/40 from LR.com) 'fill up' a 55gal aquarium? I know about the 1-2lb/gallon, but I'd rather not have my aquarium looking... barren.

Thanks

My 40lbs of keys (from LR.com) is enough to lay them flat end to end on the bottom of my 55. So, 40lbs can look barren (I went with a more heavily rocked area, and a more open area on one end, with 1-2 small tiny pieces in the foreground), but 80 should look decent. I'm looking on adding some dead rock underneath my LR soon, to get a bit more of a vertical look.

Ya cause my 35lb doesn't cover half of my 55 end to end because I got large pieces. I really want atleast another 50 (one or two more large pieces and some smaller bridge pieces). I think 80lb is a good start. You may be satisfied with that depending on the cuts.

I have 60 in my fowlr and it leaves swimming room. And it depends on how dense the rock is also. And it depends on how you aquascape. IMO that should be plenty but then Im not sure on how you want to set the tankup.
Her is my fowlr last year at this time with around 60lbs LR

It will honestly depend on the density of the individual rocks you get. Keys rock is historicly more dense than fiji for example so it will take up less space per gal.

One of the challenges with LR is the density factor really affects how much rock it takes to get a specific look. I have seen tanks with what I would consier acceptable levels of live rock but the images look as if the tank is barren and only has maybe 1/2 of the rock they claim. As is described the way you aquascape can also impact the overall apperance.

the lfs said it was figi. it was nice to hand pic all my pieces. He would get in 2000lbs and have it in a big tub to pic from. I got a lot of arch type pieces so I could make the tunnels for swimming.

Here's 90-95 pounds of LR from livrrocks.com in my 55..
wholetank.jpg

Thanks XX- I presume that like most you were quite pleased w/ LR.com?

Back
Top Bottom