how often do you dose calcium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philc21

Aquarium Advice Activist
im using reef complete and reef carbonate and i would like to dose clacium as often as possible right now im dosing both the carbonate and the complete every other day is it ok if i move it down to everyday and if i do dose everyday do i have to dose the carbonate as well as the calcium or just the clacium

What you dose should be dictated by the consumption by whatever animals you are keeping. The only way to do that is with proper test kits for alkalinity, Ca and occasionally Mg.

What is equally important is the >>balance<< of these elements and >>how they interact<<. What are your current chem levels?

Cheers
Steve

thats the problem i dont have a test for n e of those i guess im just gunna keep dosing every other day becuase that seems to be working well if i see any negative effects then ill test

philc21 said:
if i see any negative effects then ill test
That would be when it's too late :wink:

If your going to dose anything, be sure you have a test kit for it. If not, water changes should be relied upon until you do. Dosing without testing will cause you a whole lot of headaches.

Cheers
Steve

Whoa ya, I made the mistake of dosing calcium in the beginning of my reef career without a test kit. Big regrets, don't dose if ya don't test!

how high should i allow the calcium and the carbonate to get to and where should i try to keep it at

No reason to go any higher (or different) than NSW, just keep it balanced.

Alkalinity 1.5-3 mEq/l
Calcium 380-420 ppm

Cheers
Steve

Not to high-jack...whats a good test kit for CA, and the such? Also what elements do you need to be concerned about if the tank is a FOWLR or reef and vice versa??
Thanks

fishman said:
whats a good test kit for CA, and the such?
Salifert, La Motte and Seachem.

Also what elements do you need to be concerned about if the tank is a FOWLR or reef and vice versa??
With a FOWLR, water changes will most likely maintain everything you'll need if done weekly and depending on if it's balanced from the start. Without scleractinians, only the coralline (if any) will be depositing CaCO3 and that will depend on the speed in which it grows. It does sometimes deplete Mg faster though.

For a reef set up you should regularly check alk and Ca. Mg and PO4 occassionaly as well.

As always: pH, temp, salinity and NO3 should be monitored regularly. Wouldn't hurt to check NH3 and NO2 once in awhile either (even in a mature tank).

Cheers
Steve

Steve, you said:

As always: pH, temp, salinity and NO3 should be monitored regularly. Wouldn't hurt to check NH3 and NO2 once in awhile either (even in a mature tank).

Nitrite is toxic, while nitrate is relatively non-toxic.

Why do you recommend monitoring nitrate more closely than nitrite?

limitup said:
Why do you recommend monitoring nitrate more closely than nitrite?
If nitrate is monitored regularly, it will give you an indication of the other two and sound the alarm so to speak. In a cycled tank, low nitrates would mean the other two would most likely be zero. If NO3 where elevated/high, it would be a safe bet one or both of the other two where detectable. Once the tank has properly cycled there should be little need to regularly monitor NH3 or NO2. If problems arise it should be tested but personally I think it is not necessary on a regular basis.

Cheers
Steve

No... nitrites turn to nitrates.

Wow... just realized this post was over 4 years old. Digging deep in the archives, aren't we?!

Back
Top Bottom