how quickly do yellow polyp coral multiply?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
How quickly do yellow polyp corals multiply? Also, what is the more correct name for these? I know they're commonly called "polyps" but I read that this is incorrect nomenclature as *all* corals consist of polyps.

Thanks!

Hres a quick reference link to the yellow polyps and their latin name.

http://species.fishindex.com/species_2752parazoanthus_gracilis_yellow_polyps.html

I wouldnt say that all corals are or have polyps. A fair number of them do but for the most part a coral that uses the word polyp in its common name is often a coral where the only part of its body is a polyp. Other corals have a bodymass and then polyps that extend out from the mass.

fishfreek said:
I wouldnt say that all corals are or have polyps. A fair number of them do but for the most part a coral that uses the word polyp in its common name is often a coral where the only part of its body is a polyp. Other corals have a bodymass and then polyps that extend out from the mass.

I don't follow you... which corals do not have the polyp as the fundamental unit? I was under the impression that any body mass is skeleton and the polyp is the "living" part. Yellow polyps are just all-polyp & no-skeleton, I thought. Of course it's very likely that I have no idea what I'm talking about in this area so I do appreciate the guidance :)

I wouldnt classify a plate coral or a mushroom as having polyps. I wont see hammer, frogspawn or torch as having polips either.

Leathers or other soft bodied corals have no skeliton so to speak of but instead has a very fleshy body mass that is inflated with water to maintan shape. SPS corals lay down a skeliton base and the individual polyps live inthis base. Gorgonians have a mix of skeliton and fleshy base that the individual feeding polyps extend out of.

To answer your question..... We can not give them a time limit. It all depends on yout tank ..... Water quality, lights, feedings, water changes.... All tanks are different. Could be a few months could never spread.....

Back
Top Bottom