How to catch a crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasoncwrd2002

Aquarium Advice Freak
So while I was away for three days playing GI joe (army) my wife noticed a crab in our tank at night that had hitchhiked with the LR. I saw it tonight and am currently researching it. Also researching how to remove it. I used a redlight to see it. But what I've learned so far is that I can use either a cut bottle which I need better directions or a picture of. Or a glass cup with shrimp in it with it tilted over. Any other suggestions?

Yea got snails as my cuc and most everything I read says crabs eat snails. I would rather not have it. Or as many bristleworms as I have either.

Get a pic lets I'd it first. When I had to catch my emerald crab I took a deep baby food jar tilted it on it side and put a piece of food in it. The crab is able to get into it but getting out is another story. The sides are to slippery for them to grip onto. Get a jar that is larger then the crab in question and one you trap it cover with pantyhose and an elastic till you can take it to a lfs. Of course there is no guarantee this will work some are craftier then others but it worked for me. :)

Keep an eye on it if the crab is hungry enough it will go right in it mine did took about 5 mins he was a greedy buggar. Lol

Well I checked it this morning and had nothing. Will have wife take a pic of it when she wakes up and post it on here. Not sure if I did it right or not. I used a shrimp I got from the grocery store and a regular glass.

Well I checked it this morning and had nothing. Will have wife take a pic of it when she wakes up and post it on here. Not sure if I did it right or not. I used a shrimp I got from the grocery store and a regular glass.

Did you serve it with a side of salad?

Lol no

Uhm only thing I can think of is maybe cup was to tall for him to crawl in or to low and he got out.

Or maybe boil the shrimp for a couple mins to make it more smelly

Yea I had It tilted against a piece of LR. Gonna try a smaller glass on a different rock tonight. Prob try the boiling also

Make sure not to over do it, and make sure to take it out in the morning, it can really create some water quality problems.

Was the shrimp gone? I didn't tilt mine against a rock just pusses it into the sand and then tilted the glass. I don't have a pic anymore or I would post it for you.

I don't think cooking the shrimp is gonna help at all. Crabs eat raw shrimp all the time in the ocean. Not like they've got tiny little stoves to cool it in the ocean (although now I'm picturing a crab cooking at a stove and that sounds super cute :) ) lol

I don't think cooking the shrimp is gonna help at all. Crabs eat raw shrimp all the time in the ocean. Not like they've got tiny little stoves to cool it in the ocean (although now I'm picturing a crab cooking at a stove and that sounds super cute :) ) lol

Pfft! Obviously you've never heard of the Krusty Krab whose sole proprietor is Mr. Krabs!

Back
Top Bottom