How to sex clown fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdwhite03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there a way to sex clown fish? I have two of them and am not sure if they are a mated pair or just good buddies as they are never more than a few inches apart. (This is bad I know, but I dont know which clowns they are other than to say they are the Nemo ones).

Is there a way to sex clown fish? I have two of them and am not sure if they are a mated pair or just good buddies as they are never more than a few inches apart. (This is bad I know, but I dont know which clowns they are other than to say they are the Nemo ones).

Well they only way to tell them apart male and female. Basically the Female would be the bigger of the two and the male would be smaller or vice versa... They can be either male or female depending who is the biggest.

all clowns start out as males, once they find a mate, the larger of the 2 will become a female and thats that. the female often harasses the male for a while before they actually mate.

Is this weird? I have had a pair of reg. clowns (not true percs) and a pair of black/white clowns for 5 or 6 months with no problems. The female clown is the boss of the tank but never a bully. Last week one of the black/white started being a big bully with a capital Bto the other black/white. I took him out after I notcied he had some damage.
Now the reg. female clown in picking on the one black/white left. She will let it out of the corner to eat but that's all. Same behavior. No phyical damage so far. Is this a girl thing?

Is this weird? I have had a pair of reg. clowns (not true percs) and a pair of black/white clowns for 5 or 6 months with no problems. The female clown is the boss of the tank but never a bully. Last week one of the black/white started being a big bully with a capital Bto the other black/white. I took him out after I notcied he had some damage.
Now the reg. female clown in picking on the one black/white left. She will let it out of the corner to eat but that's all. Same behavior. No phyical damage so far. Is this a girl thing?

You say you have 2 reg. Clowns meaning False Perce and to 2 Black and White clowns? In the same tank? If so you might have a Race issue with different species of clowns 2 false percs can't be in the same tank as 2 black and white clown they might be ok as Juveniles but once they start getting older they will fight and pick on each other. Unless you have a very long or large tank for them to co-exist for one another.. I would remove either or which ever two you like to stop the harrassment.

Liveaquaria says this "
Although there are no external characteristics to differentiate male and female, all clownfish are sexually immature when hatched. Meaning that the fry do not have a pre-determined sex, and develop into males and females depending on the hierarchy of the school. A pair will lay eggs along the base of the host anemone, using it to protect the eggs. The eggs normally appear orange in color. Without proper preparation, rearing in the average aquarium is nearly impossible. "

Mike beat me to it. They are unsexed until the conditions are met. If you have a single clown that never was with another, it will remain unsexed. If you add another, typically the larger of the two will become dominant and turn into a female and the smaller will change to a male.

Back
Top Bottom