Huma huma?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a huma huma and was wondering how aggressive they are? I have one thats about 4ish inches. How mean are they? O have/had 4 perc clowns, the huma and two blue yellow tailed damsels. One perc was killed i believe by my damsels. They had him pinned behind a rock. But ive read that humas can be mean. And again, dumb question whats the difference of a huma and a Picasso? They look the same and ive seen them called the same thing. Thanks all!

Well ,all i can say is every fish is different..Mine was an absolute terror ,,to the point i finally got rid of him..Had him for over 3 years and he didn't really turn nasty till the last year i had him

Well ,all i can say is every fish is different..Mine was an absolute terror ,,to the point i finally got rid of him..Had him for over 3 years and he didn't really turn nasty till the last year i had him

Well maybe ill trade mine in at my lfs for a yello mimic tang...

I had a huma huma for about 5 years and then i got rid of it because the fifth year it went crazy and killed everything in the tank. i had it in a 75 gallon tank

Travis55 said:
I have a huma huma and was wondering how aggressive they are? I have one thats about 4ish inches. How mean are they? O have/had 4 perc clowns, the huma and two blue yellow tailed damsels. One perc was killed i believe by my damsels. They had him pinned behind a rock. But ive read that humas can be mean. And again, dumb question whats the difference of a huma and a Picasso? They look the same and ive seen them called the same thing. Thanks all!

Travis,...triggers are extremely cool critters to have,... It's pronounced " humuhumu " not huma huma ,..which is Hawaii for " humuhumunukunukuapua'a " which means fish with a pigs snout,....the real humuhumu is the Hawaiian state fish which is a rectangular triggerfish,..the picaso triggerfish is also called a humuhumu but in reality the real humuhumu is the rectangular trigger.
As a rule they are not reef safe however mine have never touch a piece of coral yet and I have tons of it ( fingers crossed ).., they can become very mean and will turn on other fishes ( especially other triggers if give a chance ).., usually they're best kept in a fowlr setup with fish that are bigger and meaner too, but here again so much depends on the individual fish,...they are kinda clowns at times and will eat out of your hand,but they will also give you a good solid nip too.
Hope this helps a little,..triggers are my favorite fish and every year I go back to Hawaii to check 'em out on the reefs,...good luck Travis!!

Travis,...triggers are extremely cool critters to have,... It's pronounced " humuhumu " not huma huma ,..which is Hawaii for " humuhumunukunukuapua'a " which means fish with a pigs snout,....the real humuhumu is the Hawaiian state fish which is a rectangular triggerfish,..the picaso triggerfish is also called a humuhumu but in reality the real humuhumu is the rectangular trigger.
As a rule they are not reef safe however mine have never touch a piece of coral yet and I have tons of it ( fingers crossed ).., they can become very mean and will turn on other fishes ( especially other triggers if give a chance ).., usually they're best kept in a fowlr setup with fish that are bigger and meaner too, but here again so much depends on the individual fish,...they are kinda clowns at times and will eat out of your hand,but they will also give you a good solid nip too.
Hope this helps a little,..triggers are my favorite fish and every year I go back to Hawaii to check 'em out on the reefs,...good luck Travis!!

Wow, thanks for the info. Unfortunately i cannot get fish that are bigger than him because i only have a 55. I put hjm up for sale on a local forum...

Travis55 said:
Wow, thanks for the info. Unfortunately i cannot get fish that are bigger than him because i only have a 55. I put hjm up for sale on a local forum...

Hey Travis,...probably in the long run you'd probably be better off,..with what you got now and the direction you're going he'd probably become a handful,..usually they require a fairly large tank too,..minimum of 75 gal but bigger is better in this case..they tend to get more aggressive in a smaller layout,...they are interesting to say the least,..I have a rectangular and a picaso which have lived together semi peacefully for over a year now but the rectangular decided to beat the heck out of my picaso a couple of weeks back out of the blue,...so now the picaso is living temporally in my refugium until he gets better .,.. Hopefully you'll get another one down the line,..they are real characters.,

I not one to bag on tank sizes but i bought a hum a huma 8 years ago and i had at that time a 55G, he grew out of it within a year and a half. It will def attack your damsels and clowns, mine killed a wolf eel. The one i have now is very passive even at 5", but i also have him house with larger predatory fish. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom