Humu Picasso Triggerfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jones1483

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking of getting one of these bad boys for my next tank. On liveaquaria it says to feed them hard shelled shrimp to wear down their ever growing teeth. What type of shrimp are they talking about?

Also, if anyone else has one of these fish let me know what you think about it and if you can keep any other fish with it. Thanks in advance

You can feed them basic table shrimp with the shells on,krill and also hermits and snails ..
I had one for a few years ..It was a perfect fish for the first couple ,then tunred into a murderer :blink: killed new additions and tankmates it was with for years..I always advise people to stay away from them but if you want one go for it,,just be aware ...What size tank??

jones1483 said:
I am thinking of getting one of these bad boys for my next tank. On liveaquaria it says to feed them hard shelled shrimp to wear down their ever growing teeth. What type of shrimp are they talking about?

Also, if anyone else has one of these fish let me know what you think about it and if you can keep any other fish with it. Thanks in advance

Yep got'em.... They can be very territorial .. It's kind of a crap shoot with them as far as tank mates goes,..they may tolerate other fish for awhile and then suddenly go "postal "or not,just depends on the individual fish... Don't even think about any inverts, crabs,shrimps etc ,including any " cleanup crews" because this is what they normally eat.,..and they will.
For the most part I've found them to be kinda reef safe, they do not seem too interested in munching on your corals..however they do love to nip at the rocks and sand,.. I wouldn't worry too much about the hard shelled shrimp,..they'll grind down their chompers on the rocks etc.
I feed mine a mixture of squid,mussels,fish,lobster/ crab ,nori,and a splash of Zoe for a little extra vitamins ground up and frozen into little squares,..when feeding them I've noticed that they love it when you just place a small piece of their food frozen into the tank,..they love to suck it in a chew it up that way.
They are super little characters to watch on a daily basis,....they'll eat from your hand but will also nip you too.,.... Cool critter to own.

Was thinking a 75 or 90 the fish is beautiful but I don't think I want a tank with just one fish so I will most likely shy away. Kinda wanted a second tank with around five fish one of the fish being a fish that will eat feeder fish. Just thought it would be neat.

Was thinking a 75 or 90 the fish is beautiful but I don't think I want a tank with just one fish so I will most likely shy away. Kinda wanted a second tank with around five fish one of the fish being a fish that will eat feeder fish. Just thought it would be neat.
I wouldn't put any trigger in anything under 125 gallons...
There are plenty of beautiful fish that would do great in a 90 ..Look at the dwarf angels if you want a nice stand out fish

Thanks for the input. I base my selection off what live aquaria has for their minimum tank size.

Yeah ,a lot of people go by that..i still don't understand where they get some of these sizes from...According to them its OK to keep a humu in a 70(which is an odd size in and of itself) ,but a niger needs a 180 ...Hmmm,,odd and IMO completely wrong

Back
Top Bottom