i am moveing(how should i do this)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwint

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 75 gallon with 5 fish.i am moveing and want to no if my plan is the right way.i have a 10 gallon and i was going to put about 10 pounds of sand from my 75 gal and water.run it for a few days and test paremeters.set up the 75 gal and run for a few days and test.if everything is good with the 75 i will put the fish from the ten gal to the 75.is this the right way to do this?i am moving done the street so maybe everything will live.they all get along and would hate to see anything go wrong

Just put your fish in one bucket, your sand and decor in another, and your filterpads in one more. Then just tear it down, move it, set it up, and add everything back. If its just right down the road then it shouldn't be any issue at all and I doubt you'll get any spikes if you keep everything wet

thanks,so i have to keep my bio wheels in a 5 gal bucket with my tank water to keep bacteria alive.i have a 75 gal so im going to have to empty all water and hopefully will not have to cycle again

Saving old water isn't really important just make sure anything that has BB on it stays wet during the move and you'll be fine

great,now i no where i went wrong on my last move.i had to cycle it over cause i let everything dry out,thanks

Here's how i'd do it put the fish in the 10gl with the filter pads, heater and ph. live rock in a bucket with just enough water to cover them Then get a bucket fill it 1/3-1/2 full of sand from the main tank then rinse that sand with old tank water (stir the snot out of it) keep doing this until all the sand is rinsed or i ran out of water. The old sand can hold a ton of nitrates/nitrites and phos. you may get a cycle from disturbing it, i've all ways washed my sand this way and never had a cycle or had any loss Good luck with the move.

should i rinse all of my sand so i dont have problems with spikes?how long should i keep them in the 10 gal for?get my 75 gal going till it clears and then test?im afraid of stressing out the fish.i had a ich problem months ago and had to start all over

It's best to rinse all of the sand use old tank water this way you dont kill all the benthic life in it. The fish in the 10 will need a place to hide some PVC fittings work well, set up the 75 get the rock and sand in it and test test test. Keep extra salt water on hand as the 10 will need PWC's almost daily Dont forget to drip acm. the fish to the 75

i cant take 75 gallons of water to my new place.i would need 16,17. 5 gal buckets.i do have bio wheels which i will keep wet and try to keep the decos wet

use the old water to rinse the sand put the HOB on the 10 gal. it will help. when you set up the 75. use new salt water to fill it. Just try to keep 5-10 gallons of salt water on hand in case you need to do a fast change on the 10 gal. with 5 fish in it the parameters can get out of hand very quick

Back
Top Bottom