i have a zebra damsel that is getting aggressive toward my clown fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keu131

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
is there any way i can stop this?
should i give the two fish time?? they have only been in the same tank since yesterday. both fish were solo fish in their tanks for quite some time before being put together!
should i take the damsel out asap????

please help me!! i don't want to lose my clown fish!! he has been with me for over a year and i love him!!!

Okay how big is ur damsel? How agressive is he acting? How big is the tank and do u have a back up? How often do u feed them? i need facts in order to help you

the tank is 130ltrs i have fed them yesterday and today. just small amounts. the damsel is small not hugely bigger than the clown fish, maybe half a size bigger.
he has the clown stuck in one corner and is charging him. not constantly but regularly. my back up plan would be to take the damsel to the local fish store.
i really love my clown! he is my baby :p

also, when i feed them the damsel is aggressive and the clown is not free to eat as he pleases. though he still is getting some food.

thanks so much for your help!

i thought that might be the case.. bugga

no no back up tanks. the damsel is only with me because a friend is changing her tank to a tropical and he was her only fish. i will take hime to our local fish guy. he will find a new home!

what are the best kind of fish to co exist with a clown for future reference??

Haha lots of fish are very tolerant of clown loaches. Im no expert but i can tell u that most non agressive schooling fish will be ok, angels, tetras, hatchets. They are all ok

Just keep and eye on them for a few days they are both a pretty territorial fish.

keu131 said:
is there any way i can stop this?
should i give the two fish time?? they have only been in the same tank since yesterday. both fish were solo fish in their tanks for quite some time before being put together!
should i take the damsel out asap????

please help me!! i don't want to lose my clown fish!! he has been with me for over a year and i love him!!!

Get rid of the damsel. They're well known to be aggressive fish.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha lots of fish are very tolerant of clown loaches. Im no expert but i can tell u that most non agressive schooling fish will be ok, angels, tetras, hatchets. They are all ok

Those sound like freshwater fish.

As for clownfish compatibility - you could get another clown, firefish, chromis, wrasses, gobies, blennies....there really are alot of options. I use Liveaquaria.com as a guide. I would stay away from damsels and angels.

thank you all so much for your help! i did read that damsels were aggressive before i took him. so i knew to keep watch! i jut wanted to give the little guy a second chance! he was gina get flushed :/ but he is bought and in a baggy now off to the fish store! :D

I had the same problem with 2 Fiji damsels, a re-scape worked for me.
They live happily now and have their own area which they still defend but soon go back.

yes they were if they couldn't find a new home for him.
but now i am very worried because i missed the guy at the fish shop! he was gone when i got there and they don't open on sundays (tomorrow) and the damsel is in a baggy in the tank still and i don't want to let him out to go back to bullying my clown. but i certainly don't want to watch him die :(

i have him in a baggy for now.... I'm really not willing to lose my clown fish :(
what is a re-scape Carpious? how long would it take for one of them to kill the other? i am worried it would happen over night??

Do you have a bucket...maybe one you use for water changes? Put the fish in there with an airline and air stone. It'll sustain it until you can transfer him again. Room temps should be high enough, you guys are heading into Summer (?) that there should be enough ambient warmth. Another option, if the tank is large enough, is take a strainer, like one you would use for pasta, plastic preferably. Suspend it in the tank after an extremely good rinse and put the damsel in there. The strainer allows for water flow and will keep up the warmth but won't allow the two fish to interact.

Firefish seem to get along well with clowns.

i have a new dilemma! the fish shop guy will not take the damsel and i have nothing else i can do with him! i let him back in the tank because i had no other option and did not want to watch him die!
its hard to say how they are going this time around. the damsel is not constantly at the clown and I'm not sure if they are even contacting very much.
the little clown has always hung out just in one corner of the tank... and the damsel just bullies him right up into that corner now n then..... can the stress alone kill my clown?
i am so upset :( i don't know what to do!?!?!
i need something long term?? or if i am going to lose my clown i guess i have to "get rid" of the damsel.......

Separate them, using the strainer. Stress alone can't but it can drives down the fishes natural immune system and that can lead to disease.

Back
Top Bottom