I have some type of algae growing, please help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffbecker18

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi - my saltwater fish only with live sand has been running since September of 2016. It has recently started to get this brown thick algae on it sand and walls of the tank. I have 2 snails and they have a very hard time keeping up with the growth. Is this bad? How do I fix this?IMG_3472.JPG

It isn't bad, but you don't have enough flow in the system. The algae growth is a sign of nutrients in the water column. You will need long term water changes to address this.

It isn't bad, but you don't have enough flow in the system. The algae growth is a sign of nutrients in the water column. You will need long term water changes to address this.

Thanks, would a wave maker help too with the flow problem?

No. Wavemakers will turn multiple powerheads on and off to create a more randomized flow pattern. You can do this on your own by pointing powerheads towards each other and at rocks without cutting back on the amount of flow in the system by turning one off.

I make my own with instant ocean salt

he is asking if you use a RO/DI unit when mixing your water like this

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/RO-DI/unit

like stated above you need more circulation in your tank . algae forming on the sand that's being fueled by phosphates trapped in the sand from feeding and waist sitting on the bottom , power heads will help circulate the water which in turn will help by preventing dead spots in the sand not allowing any type of food or waist from just sitting in the sand, once you add circulation you will notice a big improvement .

Back
Top Bottom